Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  22
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tire question? Need some help before I drop a grand. Very soon

1. Top Of Page | #21

User Info Menu

Re: Tire question? Need some help before I drop a grand. Very soon

Quote Originally Posted by 9mgcb81 View Post
    On a 2wd no issues. I've run a 30" front and 38" rear before. Wasn't used in the road much but did some. Did it for the reason you're talking about to get the gear to hook up for me
    Example look at other modified pulling trucks. Running very low up front and small tires. With the semi rear out back and 36 to 38" tall tractor tires that are 2 foot wide
    Good info. Thanks
    I tow and I don't see that as an issue. I have a good set of tires on the front, 265/70's So I think this may be the best solution. Go with a set of 285/75 in the rear and wear out the fronts. When @F350Cummins and I looked closely, there is only 2 fingers of clearance between the rear fender well and the edge of the tire in a hard turn. A 285/70 will just make it, as long as the body doesn't lean or the spring doesn't compress.

Now I am glad I raised the front and put in new springs a few years ago

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

2. Top Of Page | #22

User Info Menu

Even on a 4wd you can run different sizes. If it's front and rear. I wouldn't do more than 1/2" maybe an 1" though with a 4x4 on the street

3. Top Of Page | #23

User Info Menu

Even on a 4wd you can run different sizes. If it's front and rear. I wouldn't do more than 1/2" maybe an 1" though with a 4x4 on the street
    But only 4 X 4 is slippery conditions.

You have to clarify that for other readers. We have readers from Cummins Forum reading our stuff to get the right answers. They'd believe you could put 1200/22's on the rear and run 265's on the front. LOL

S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

4. Top Of Page | #24

User Info Menu

My old K5 Blazer blew a rear tire driving Illinois to Louisiana headed back to post. Middle of nowhere

15 inches of lift
    38.5" swampers

Only choice was mounting a 31" tire a farmer gave me. Used his tractor to lift the rear and blew the tire on. Drove the remaining 90 miles looking at the sky going 45 mph

5. Likes Power247, Polaraco liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #25

User Info Menu

My old K5 Blazer blew a rear tire driving Illinois to Louisiana headed back to post. Middle of nowhere

15 inches of lift
    38.5" swampers

Only choice was mounting a 31" tire a farmer gave me. Used his tractor to lift the rear and blew the tire on. Drove the remaining 90 miles looking at the sky going 45 mph
    Must be a marine. Learn to adapt. LOL
    That's why I never went crazy with tires and rims.

7. Top Of Page | #26

User Info Menu

I'm still looking for opinions here

I forgot who talked about it earlier, but availability is an issue. I was leaning on going with larger rears by going with the 75 series, and leaving the stock size on the front.

I went up to see my buddy today. We sat for an hour going over the options and applying them to what I want to do. First of all, I have no need for a all terrain tire. All season or highway tread is all I need. Everything available in the 75 series has an aggressive tread. That and they are not everywhere like the 70 series is.

So! Here's the plan. Tell me if you disagree. We're thinking 285/70's in the rear. Then I can check for fitment in the front. If it fits in the front, then I can go all the way around.

8. Top Of Page | #27

User Info Menu

Nitto Duro Grappler 285/75/17

If you want to try fitment of the 285/70 though that's worth trying out. Put them both on and turn to full lock see if they hit anything

If you're happy with them run the 70's

9. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #28

User Info Menu

Nitto Duro Grappler 285/75/17

If you want to try fitment of the 285/70 though that's worth trying out. Put them both on and turn to full lock see if they hit anything

If you're happy with them run the 70's
    It's not what I really wanted, but it will have to do I guess.

The Nitto I am looking at has a mild tread on it. It looks almost highway

11. Top Of Page | #29

User Info Menu

Are you looking for more of a performance style tire

Another one off the top of my head not sure without looking though I'd they have a 75. Firestone Transforce HT is a good tire not aggressive at all but excellent if you're wanting highway. I've run the AT

Mastercraft has some again not sure about 75. I've never run them

12. Top Of Page | #30

User Info Menu

I have a newer set of transforces and I am so unimpressed by them its not funny. They arent like the old transforce tires on my dually

2014 Ram 2500 CCSB Ram Box Larime
    2011 Ram 5500
    2006 Diesel Jeep Liberty
    RIP. 2016 Tradesman 2500 picked up 9/28/16 MM3 DRD Tuning 107K miles wrecked by jeep wrangler.....

Other Toys: 1973 Charger Bougham edition 400 big block 42K original miles
    Unicycles (about 3 dozen)

6 in a row makes her go

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast