Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  16
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about 37s

1. Top Of Page | #11
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Re: Thinking about 37s

Changing tire sizes and how it effects the truck, wouldn't that be in the avenue of our Vendor @CustomOffsets ?

(there's gotta be a way to delete one of these screwups when I accidentally hit send twice to darn quick)

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

2. Top Of Page | #12
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Changing tire sizes and how it effects the ruck, wouldn't that be in the avenue of our Vendor @CustomOffsets ?

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

3. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stoweboy250 View Post
    What's good brand for 4.10 gears?
    I was just looking into this, and my neighbor who's a hobby race car mechanic, but a knowledgeable mechanic none the less, told when when I brought up the subject, that motive or richmond were good brands. research online has shown that nitro is also a good brand. my $0.02

2016 Ram 3500 CCLB, BD Steering Brace, BDS Dual Steering Stabilizer, MM3 Warp tuning by DRD w/mm3 pyro, Flo-Pro 5" TBE w/muffler, ARP 625's, Flo-Pro EGR Delete

4. Likes stoweboy250 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #14

User Info Menu

I would definitely recommend changing the gears if you put 37's on it. When I first lifted my truck and put the 37's on with the stock 3.73 gears I hated how it drove. Far too low of an rpm in any driving condition; it just felt wrong and I know it wasn't great for the trans either. I ended up swapping to 4.56's. Now that being said, if I had to do it over again I probably would have done 4.10's. The 4.56's are great for in town and the truck is an absolute beast towing with them. But I feel like with the amount of highway driving I do 4.10's would have been a better option. With the 4.56's I turn about 1800 rpm at 68 mph, 2000 rpm at 75 mph. So I don't really run the truck much higher than 70 mph or so just because the rpm feels too high (unless I'm towing as I like to keep the rpm up for that). So yes, at the end of the day I'd say 4.10's would be a great option as Ray has suggested.

I'm running an AAM ring and pinion set in my rear diff and a Yukon set in the front diff and haven't had any issues with either one. They set up nice and have been quiet and work great. I'd recommend either one of them for sure.

6. Likes stoweboy250 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #15

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by brandonjansen View Post
    I would definitely recommend changing the gears if you put 37's on it. When I first lifted my truck and put the 37's on with the stock 3.73 gears I hated how it drove. Far too low of an rpm in any driving condition; it just felt wrong and I know it wasn't great for the trans either. I ended up swapping to 4.56's. Now that being said, if I had to do it over again I probably would have done 4.10's. The 4.56's are great for in town and the truck is an absolute beast towing with them. But I feel like with the amount of highway driving I do 4.10's would have been a better option. With the 4.56's I turn about 1800 rpm at 68 mph, 2000 rpm at 75 mph. So I don't really run the truck much higher than 70 mph or so just because the rpm feels too high (unless I'm towing as I like to keep the rpm up for that). So yes, at the end of the day I'd say 4.10's would be a great option as Ray has suggested.

I'm running an AAM ring and pinion set in my rear diff and a Yukon set in the front diff and haven't had any issues with either one. They set up nice and have been quiet and work great. I'd recommend either one of them for sure.
    What yours does with 4:56 and 37s is really close to what mine did with stock tires and 3:73s. Now with 37s in town anything above 4th is too low of rpm. I will be taking a road trip soon to see how I like it on the interstate. I drive like a grandpa now with the 37s to be easy on the trans.

2014 3500 (DRW) 68RFE 3:73s . mirror light mod. 20% tint front 5% tint on rear. cattleman front bumper,running boards and headache rack. puddle light mod with blue leds. RGB lights in footwells and grill. Mostly debadged. 52" light bar and a 20" on the bumper. Smoked tail,cab and side marker lights. Black bezel headlights. Led lights where possible. 37 trail Graps. 2.5 inch leveling kit. Steering box brace. Dual steering stabilizers. MM3 and "WARPED" by Double R Diesel!

8. Likes 5.9cummins liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #16

User Info Menu

You don't "Have to" regear the truck, but it definitely wouldn't hurt. running a bigger tire won't hurt the truck persay, but it will "rob" power from it. It's still there, but has to work a bit harder to get 37's to turn, apposed to a factory size tire! our shop truck is stock gearing on 37's, an it tows 10K all day no problems! 38's on the Pstroke with no regear, but wanting to just for better low end acceleration!

TLDR; Don't have to, wouldn't hurt to though.

Make sure to like us on Facebook!
    Want a good daily dose of custom trucks? Check our Instagram!
    We sell wheels& tires, lift kits, custom lighting, grills, light bars and more! Right Here!

10. Top Of Page | #17

New here and this is has answered 2 questions I had. Will 37 fit with a 3.5" lift and will they be too tall for the stock gearing. I tow a 5th wheel camper about 4 times a year so I was wanting to stay 35 but they just look undersized for the big wheel wells on these trucks. Mine is a 16 and have a raceme and all the parts to delete it. I don't think power will be an issue and if I remember right I want to say I have 3:42 gears or at least that's what the build sheet says.

11. Top Of Page | #18

User Info Menu

I have 35s and 3.42s and hate it. I am tuned with Rays tunes on Raceme. I can't imagine 37s on 3.42s but try it and see. It's not imperative but when you first drive the truck you'll be amazed at the difference in bottom end. Maybe you'll get used to it. I havent. I've always ordered new trucks with 3.90s or 4.10s because I always do lifts and tires. For some silly reason Laramie package cannot be ordered w 3.42. Stupid. ..

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

2013 Laramie 2500 CC. Warp tuning on RaceMe. 2 inch level w/35s.

12. Top Of Page | #19

My tires measure 33.2 with the metric conversion. 35s measure 33.5 to 35 depending on the brand. Hard to imagine even 2" would make that much of a difference. I had 46" military tires on my old f250 with 3:42 and a 6 speed. It was miserable to drive. I went 4:88 and naturally it was like a new truck LOL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Top Of Page | #20

User Info Menu

I have an 11 2500 with 37" BFG's on 6" Fab Tech lift with factory 4.10s with speedo calibrated for tire size . To get best fuel mileage at 1800 RPM I am running 78 MPH.
    I think I would definitely put in 4.56 or possibly 4.88s if you are wanting to have a usable 6th gear when towing

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast