Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  4

Thread: 4th gen fixed vane swap

1. Top Of Page | #1

4th gen fixed vane swap

Curious as to if anyone has done a fixed vane swap with the factory manifold. I know everyone goes to a 2nd gen swap but wondering if a straight swap has been done. I understand it's inferior to the 2nd gen manifold and keeping pulses the same but what are some pros and cons of this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Top Of Page | #2

Re: 4th gen fixed vane swap

No one?

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

I think the issue has been finding a way to mount and hook up the exhaust. Maybe some others will chime in.

2014 3500 (DRW) 68RFE 3:73s . mirror light mod. 20% tint front 5% tint on rear. cattleman front bumper,running boards and headache rack. puddle light mod with blue leds. RGB lights in footwells and grill. Mostly debadged. 52" light bar and a 20" on the bumper. Smoked tail,cab and side marker lights. Black bezel headlights. Led lights where possible. 37 trail Graps. 2.5 inch leveling kit. Steering box brace. Dual steering stabilizers. MM3 and "WARPED" by Double R Diesel!

4. Likes AnOldBiker liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #4
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

4th gen fixed vane swap

Factory manifold is a T4i. Don't think there are any aftermarket turbos with that foot pattern. You could run an adapter, but that takes up space and would put the turbo to far down and hit the frame of the truck. I believe a smaller frame s400 with fit in the 3rd gen location. Which is the same as factory, down low. But I don't believe it's really ideal for most people who mod the truck and try different turbos often. I think the benefits of the 2nd gen swap are tremendous, but I also think it's kind of a "fad". If I had the money and didn't trade truck often, I would do a turbo swap of some kind. I like the idea of an s400 down low on a t4 3rd gen manifold for the simple fact I would want to use the factory air box.

6. Likes AnOldBiker liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #5

Makes since. I loved the way my duramax vvt sounded but I hate the way the cummins vvt sounds. That and drive pressure seems to be an issue with blown head gaskets so I'd much rather run a fixed. Seems like there would be a better and more economical option than running a complete 2nd gen setup. But I guess when you factor in the price of the aftermarket vvt it doesn't look quite as bad LOL.

8. Thanks stoweboy250 thanked for this post
    Likes stoweboy250 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Not sure what anyone thinks of it or the company, but I heard BD introduced a drop in replacement for the Ford 6.7, and I'll have to search around a bit again, but I thought they had said they had something similar in the works for the Ram 6.7 guys too.

10. Likes TX NIGHT TRAIN liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #7

I have some powerstroke buddies who I hear talk good things about those turbos. Personally I think the quality is garbage. I bough a deep sump pan for an Allison and the damn thing had a casting flaw and leaked through craters in the casting.

12. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Im still looking for my source but I do remember it was a Borg Warner turbo, so quality must be good, im guessing it is still in the testing phase, as I do not see anything on their website.