Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Spacers

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Spacers

Ok guys, and gals were about to put new tires on our dually. I want to go wider, and would love to go bigger, new wheels, the works. But in effort to compromise and save (some) money, we are going to put mud grips, and would like to space out the dual tires.

I have no experience with spacers, so here is my main question... Does it change your towing capabilities? We tow equipment (tractors, lumber, gates, etc) from time to time and we will also be hauling a pulling truck this year with it, some.

Like I said, I know very little on spacers, we have never needed to know. So that's why I'm asking you all!!

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Yes it does. Spacers actually weaken the wheel connection to the hub. Instead of 2 contact points, you have 4. The wheels will flex more

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

That doesn't sound good! I really want some fat daddies, but not willing to spring for wheels and a lift kit, then tires on top of all that! Thanks

4. Top Of Page | #4
    guru of all things diesel Canadiandiesel's Avatar

User Info Menu

Spacers suck but if your on a budget you can use em, I think the load capacity doesn't drop that much though, maybe 5-10%

5. Top Of Page | #5
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

From what I have found out the BFG KM2 LT255/80R17/E will fit without spacers. They look and work well on the dually trucks and are still an E rated tire. This is about the limit for width without spacers I believe. I wish they would make an ALL Terrain in that same size.
    http://www.bfgoodrichtires.ca/tire-s...2/tire-details

6. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Canadiandiesel View Post
    Spacers suck but if your on a budget you can use em, I think the load capacity doesn't drop that much though, maybe 5-10%
    Gee I wasn't thinking that. I was thinking more of handling, but you're right there too.

Besides, I've seen too many wheels fall off because of spacers. You constantly have to keep tightening the lug nuts

S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

7. Top Of Page | #7
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

If you do end up using spacers make sure they are steel and not cast or anything else. Keep an eye on them tightening them to spec and once they have seated into place they should not shift.

8. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Ok great ! Thanks guys!

9. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Anytime.