Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  4

Thread: My truck is stranded, bad PCM?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

My truck is stranded, bad PCM?

I purchased an MM3 package including exhaust back in February or March. I have had zero problems with the tune and in fact I have around 15k miles on the deleted truck. On 08/08/2017 I went to work and cut the truck off when I went to leave work nothing worked on the truck as in the proximity doors or key fob, my truck is push button start. I manually unlocked the door and noticed the dash said "key fob disabled start to reset". I attempted to start the truck thinking the key fob battery was dead, disconnected the main batteries for a while and reconnected still the same thing, truck seems to not recognize the key fob. Left the truck at work and the next morning I replaced the key fob batteries and attempted to get the truck to respond, still nothing. I disconnected the batteries again to reset, still nothing. The doors will lock from pushing the door lock button but the key fob will not lock, unlock or remote start the truck. The gauges will light up from opening the door and the dash says "push brake and start button to start" but nothing works. I called the dealership and they want me to tow the truck in to check it out. I called a locksmith and they stated the key fob failed and I will need a new key fob and they would program it. I purchased a key fob from the dealership, the locksmith plugged in their computer to the OBD port, the scan tool failed to connect. We checked fuses everything checked out good, hooked a jump box to the main battery thinking low voltage, still couldn't get the scanner to communicate with the PCM. After trying multiple times to communicate with the PCM the locksmith called the owner of the company and he stated with what the vehicle is doing he stated the PCM is bad. My father is a mechanic and attempted to rule out any simple problems tonight, fuses and voltage. Everything checked out. He hooked up his Pegasus scanner and was able to communicate with majority of the vehicle except the PCM. I'm assuming the PCM is bad and my question is there anything else I should look for ? Is there anyone else with the deleted and tuned truck having similar problems ? Could the tuner possibly cause the PCM to fail ? I usually run my truck on 12 valve 90hp tune. When I tow my 5th wheel I tune to 30hp. I baby this truck and rarely get in it. If I have to get the dealer to replace the PCM how or will this affect my tuner and deletes ? The truck is a 2013 Ram 2500 Longhorn MegaCab 4x4 with a little over 62k miles.

Sent from my iPhone

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: My truck is stranded, bad PCM?

Quote Originally Posted by jwillis View Post
    I purchased an MM3 package including exhaust back in February or March. I have had zero problems with the tune and in fact I have around 15k miles on the deleted truck. On 08/08/2017 I went to work and cut the truck off when I went to leave work nothing worked on the truck as in the proximity doors or key fob, my truck is push button start. I manually unlocked the door and noticed the dash said "key fob disabled start to reset". I attempted to start the truck thinking the key fob battery was dead, disconnected the main batteries for a while and reconnected still the same thing, truck seems to not recognize the key fob. Left the truck at work and the next morning I replaced the key fob batteries and attempted to get the truck to respond, still nothing. I disconnected the batteries again to reset, still nothing. The doors will lock from pushing the door lock button but the key fob will not lock, unlock or remote start the truck. The gauges will light up from opening the door and the dash says "push brake and start button to start" but nothing works. I called the dealership and they want me to tow the truck in to check it out. I called a locksmith and they stated the key fob failed and I will need a new key fob and they would program it. I purchased a key fob from the dealership, the locksmith plugged in their computer to the OBD port, the scan tool failed to connect. We checked fuses everything checked out good, hooked a jump box to the main battery thinking low voltage, still couldn't get the scanner to communicate with the PCM. After trying multiple times to communicate with the PCM the locksmith called the owner of the company and he stated with what the vehicle is doing he stated the PCM is bad. My father is a mechanic and attempted to rule out any simple problems tonight, fuses and voltage. Everything checked out. He hooked up his Pegasus scanner and was able to communicate with majority of the vehicle except the PCM. I'm assuming the PCM is bad and my question is there anything else I should look for ? Is there anyone else with the deleted and tuned truck having similar problems ? Could the tuner possibly cause the PCM to fail ? I usually run my truck on 12 valve 90hp tune. When I tow my 5th wheel I tune to 30hp. I baby this truck and rarely get in it. If I have to get the dealer to replace the PCM how or will this affect my tuner and deletes ? The truck is a 2013 Ram 2500 Longhorn MegaCab 4x4 with a little over 62k miles.

Sent from my iPhone
    Sounds like the PCM failed on its own. I personally have never seen a CM2350 fail after being successfully tuned. However they are an electronic device that can fail.

You will have to get the dealer to install a new PCM. Then, depending if your tunes were locked to the original PCM's serial number, you may have to get new tune files made for the new PCM.

Ray
    Double R Diesel, LLC
    www.doublerdiesel.com
    info@doublerdiesel.com

The Cummins Whisperer! John 3:16, Romans 10:9-10...Tuning for the Heart and Soul.

3. Likes david3gen liked this post
  4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

One thing I did think off...

Do make sure both truck batteries are tip top shape. I have heard of one faulty battery causing a similar issue.

Ray
    Double R Diesel, LLC
    www.doublerdiesel.com
    info@doublerdiesel.com

The Cummins Whisperer! John 3:16, Romans 10:9-10...Tuning for the Heart and Soul.

5. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Thanks Ray I will double check the batteries, I have a trucking company that may be able to work on the PCM if that's the problem. Might be a dumb question but if they replace the PCM and the tunes are locked to that PCM will I have to replace all the emmisions related trash in order to successfully have the PCM installed? Or can the PCM be installed and then program the new PCM with the MM3?

6. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, david3gen liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jwillis View Post
    Thanks Ray I will double check the batteries, I have a trucking company that may be able to work on the PCM if that's the problem. Might be a dumb question but if they replace the PCM and the tunes are locked to that PCM will I have to replace all the emmisions related trash in order to successfully have the PCM installed? Or can the PCM be installed and then program the new PCM with the MM3?
    No the dealer can simply replace the ecm but they have no choice but to send it out the door with a factory tune...so it will have all sorts of codes and a CEL present out the door.

Looking back it doesn't appear your files were locked to the PCM serial number. They were just locked to the vin. So you should be able to program your ecm outside the door of the dealership with the same tune files...but Maybe new batteries will fix it.

Ray
    Double R Diesel, LLC
    www.doublerdiesel.com
    info@doublerdiesel.com

8. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

I'm pulling the batteries now and taking them to a shop that specializes in batteries. Will get test true voltage and load. Thanks again Ray I would rather buy 2 batteries than a PCM.
    P.S. I'm trying to talk an elderly gentlemen into purchasing the MM3 lite version from you. He's having major issues with his DEF filters and CAT.

10. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Well the batteries checked out at over 12 volts each and both 800 cold cranking amps.