Likes Likes:  32
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Torque converter / transmission supplier research

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Torque converter / transmission supplier research

I'm about to beef up my 2014 68RFE by starting with a new converter and valve body. It would be easy to just do what everyone says, which is to buy an ultra low stall (-500 rpm) 15 blade RevMax converter and RevMax VB... But for some reason, I have to spend DAYS investigating if this is right for me.

Here's a few things I learned, or at least was told:

- Per RevMax, the stock stall speed of 2013+ 68RFE converters is 2500-2600 RPM. That's ~400 RPM higher than I thought.
    - Per RevMax, the stall speed does NOT increase for a given transmission as you increase flywheel HP (that's not what others on message boards are saying)
    - Per RevMax, you should only get the ultra low stall converter (-500 rpm / 15 blade) if you tow heavy (>10,000#) -- not sure I'm sold on this yet either.
    - Per RevMax, I should get the -300 RPM, 17 blade low stall converter because I only tow 3000-7000#
    - Per RevMax, it doesn't matter how much power you make, or what your gear ratio is, or what your tire size is - these should not be factors when selecting stall speed
    - Per RevMax, the only thing that matters is your turbo and how fast it spools (big, slow spooling turbos, go with a little higher stall speed to prevent lag issues)

- Per Dave Goerend, -300 RPM is the recommended stall speed (in general), but he's looking into his database and will get back to me with more info.

- Per ATS Transmission of Janesville, WI (my local shop), there are legitimate alternatives to RevMax. I'm investigating further.
    - Based on ATS' experience (warranty) with HD components, they were not willing to recommend Suncoast, Precision of New Hampton (Iowa), Banks.
    - ATS does like Goerend, and Sonnax (my BMW 330i auto transmission was rebuilt with Sonnax stuff and I really like it so far. I drive it hard)

I'm not trying to start a whole new debate. Just passing on what I was told. I'd love to hear your thoughts on what I wrote. I was dumb and happy, but now I don't know if I should go -500 rpm / 15 blade or -300 / 17 blade for a converter!! Grrrr.... Maybe that's just pickin' the fly poop out of pepper? Not sure.

Thanks, Brian

2014 Laramie 2500 CCSB - DRD MM3 Tuning, H&S SX-E 66mm Turbo Kit (DRD Giveaway #2), RevMax VB, Goerend Low Stall Converter & Billet Input Shaft, CA625 Head Studs, Custom Offsets MKW M95 Wheels, Nitto 11.5x35-R20 Ridge Grapplers, Carbon Fiber Vinyl Wrapped Rockers, Wrapped Bumpers & Grille, Thuren Springs & Swaybar, Phantom Sun Light Bar, Westin Rear Booster Pods, Retroshop HIDs & Fogs & Backup LEDs, Wireless Air Lift 5000, Flo-Pro 4" SST Exhaust, FTEDiesel 30" resonator, AMP Bed Step, Rebadged, Truxport Tonneau, Undercoated, Alpine Sub & Amp, and more. Matt 22:37, Proverbs 16:24

2. Thanks elcubano thanked for this post
    Likes Cummins7, elcubano liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Torque converter / transmission supplier research

I definitely want to hear what people say about this! I want to upgrade mine as well!

The fly poop in the pepper had me rolling!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Thanks Muskiebri thanked for this post
    Likes Muskiebri, Cummins7 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Re: Torque converter / transmission supplier research

Great info! Interested to know more about Goerend. Does he even mess with 68s? I didn't think he did to begin with but that was years ago

2015 Black Laramie CCSB 3500 SRW. Thuren Leveled With Fox 2.0 Shocks. Ride Rite Rear Air Bags With Wireless Airlift Onboard Air. 35" Toyos. All The Options Minus The Soot Cookers. RaceMe Ultra.

6. Thanks Muskiebri, theaaronbush, elcubano thanked for this post
    Likes Muskiebri, theaaronbush, elcubano liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RATLIN'HP View Post
    Great info! Interested to know more about Goerend. Does he even mess with 68s? I didn't think he did to begin with but that was years ago
    I think he does 68RFE work, because ATS transmission told me they would buy his converter if I did the work through them.

Quote Originally Posted by theaaronbush View Post
    I definitely want to hear what people say about this! I want to upgrade mine as well!

The fly poop in the pepper had me rolling!
    I think I got that from one of my Cummins Filtration engineering friends/colleagues in Cookeville, TN :-)

2014 Laramie 2500 CCSB - DRD MM3 Tuning, H&S SX-E 66mm Turbo Kit (DRD Giveaway #2), RevMax VB, Goerend Low Stall Converter & Billet Input Shaft, CA625 Head Studs, Custom Offsets MKW M95 Wheels, Nitto 11.5x35-R20 Ridge Grapplers, Carbon Fiber Vinyl Wrapped Rockers, Wrapped Bumpers & Grille, Thuren Springs & Swaybar, Phantom Sun Light Bar, Westin Rear Booster Pods, Retroshop HIDs & Fogs & Backup LEDs, Wireless Air Lift 5000, Flo-Pro 4" SST Exhaust, FTEDiesel 30" resonator, AMP Bed Step, Rebadged, Truxport Tonneau, Undercoated, Alpine Sub & Amp, and more. Matt 22:37, Proverbs 16:24

8. Likes RATLIN'HP liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

So I just looked and I see Goerend does make a triple disc converter, and you can get a variety of stall speeds. Looks like they make a flex plate, a deep pan, and a few other things for the 68 also. Gonna have to check with them to see if they ever have plans for a high flow valve body though. Didn't see that offered. But if they ever do that'd be awesome!

2015 Black Laramie CCSB 3500 SRW. Thuren Leveled With Fox 2.0 Shocks. Ride Rite Rear Air Bags With Wireless Airlift Onboard Air. 35" Toyos. All The Options Minus The Soot Cookers. RaceMe Ultra.

10. Thanks Muskiebri thanked for this post
    Likes Muskiebri liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RATLIN'HP View Post
    So I just looked and I see Goerend does make a triple disc converter, and you can get a variety of stall speeds. Looks like they make a flex plate, a deep pan, and a few other things for the 68 also. Gonna have to check with them to see if they ever have plans for a high flow valve body though. Didn't see that offered. But if they ever do that'd be awesome!
    Yep. I'm waiting for a call back from them to answer some valve body questions. Their web pricing is about the same as RevMax (I wonder why.....???? LOL). I think I can get better prices through my local tranny shop. That's good business management though.

68RFE Converters: http://goerend.com/goerend-triple-di...ummins-2007-5/
    68RFE VB's: http://goerend.com/goerend-transmiss...d-gm-solenoid/

Excerpts from Goerend.com:

Goerend 2007.5+ 6.7L Cummins Converters:

All Goerend converters were developed using a chassis dyno, transmission dyno, and extensive testing on live trucks.

FEATURES:
    •Triple Disc Converter •Billet front cover •Billet Damper •If purchased with a Limited Lifetime Warranty: price includes 1 FREE Stall Change (within the first year to the original owner)

Choose Your Stall Speed:
    15SS:
    The most versatile converter offered. It is loose enough to spool most turbos, in most elevations and climates, while maximizing low end grunt and keeping the torque converter tight enough when the turbo lights and horsepower is being made. This converter should go in trucks that TOW and WORK HARD. Approximately 200-400 RPM lower than a stock converter.
    This converter works well with: •Stock turbos from 0 to 11,000 foot elevation •2nd generation dodges (0 to 4,000 foot elevation) with stock to 58mm turbos •3rd generation dodges (0 to 4,000 foot elevation) with stock to 62mm turbos

We have many other options for stall speeds if none of these fit your application. Please call us to discuss (563) 778-2719

Some other billet components (input shaft caught my eye, made partly by Sonnax):

http://goerend.com/dodge/billet-shafts/

12. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Muskiebri View Post
    I'm about to beef up my 2014 68RFE by starting with a new converter and valve body. It would be easy to just do what everyone says, which is to buy an ultra low stall (-500 rpm) 15 blade RevMax converter and RevMax VB... But for some reason, I have to spend DAYS investigating if this is right for me.

Here's a few things I learned, or at least was told:

- Per RevMax, the stock stall speed of 2013+ 68RFE converters is 2500-2600 RPM. That's ~400 RPM higher than I thought.
    - Per RevMax, the stall speed does NOT increase for a given transmission as you increase flywheel HP (that's not what others on message boards are saying)
    - Per RevMax, you should only get the ultra low stall converter (-500 rpm / 15 blade) if you tow heavy (>10,000#) -- not sure I'm sold on this yet either.
    - Per RevMax, I should get the -300 RPM, 17 blade low stall converter because I only tow 3000-7000#
    - Per RevMax, it doesn't matter how much power you make, or what your gear ratio is, or what your tire size is - these should not be factors when selecting stall speed
    - Per RevMax, the only thing that matters is your turbo and how fast it spools (big, slow spooling turbos, go with a little higher stall speed to prevent lag issues)

- Per Dave Goerend, -300 RPM is the recommended stall speed (in general), but he's looking into his database and will get back to me with more info.

- Per ATS Transmission of Janesville, WI (my local shop), there are legitimate alternatives to RevMax. I'm investigating further.
    - Based on ATS' experience (warranty) with HD components, they were not willing to recommend Suncoast, Precision of New Hampton (Iowa), Banks.
    - ATS does like Goerend, and Sonnax (my BMW 330i auto transmission was rebuilt with Sonnax stuff and I really like it so far. I drive it hard)

I'm not trying to start a whole new debate. Just passing on what I was told. I'd love to hear your thoughts on what I wrote. I was dumb and happy, but now I don't know if I should go -500 rpm / 15 blade or -300 / 17 blade for a converter!! Grrrr.... Maybe that's just pickin' the fly poop out of pepper? Not sure.

Thanks, Brian
    Stay away from ATS Trannies they are BS everything they say that they do to the transmissions they don't I had a 47RE ATS Trans and everything was suppose to be beefed up and I ended up rebuilding the damn thing 3 times first time it Grenaded hap to replace just about everything second time it was the spindle stripped out gear the third time it was the drum finally after that BS went with billet parts installed and then ended up rolling my truck in a ditch and caught on fire and ended up burning truck pretty good

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

13. Thanks Peter Champion thanked for this post
  14. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by HKBIGDADDYDIESELDAN View Post
    Stay away from ATS Trannies they are BS
    I just want to be clear that ATS transmission of Janesville Wisconsin (which I referenced) is a different company than ATS Diesel Performance of Arvada, Colorado? (that you mentioned). ATS/Rock County Diesel of Janesville is a legit shop with top quality service and capabilities. They're not in the business of selling rebuilt transmissions or kits, etc. They just service your vehicle in their shop.

15. Thanks elcubano thanked for this post
    Likes elcubano liked this post
  16. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Cool that's good to know bud hope you get it figured out about what your gonna do

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

17. Likes Muskiebri liked this post
  18. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Thanks for pulling this info together. I recently turned 60k and have been thinking of doing some upgrades with the normal trans service.

Greg
    2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | Custom tuned by Double R Diesel
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

19. Thanks Muskiebri thanked for this post
    Likes Muskiebri liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast