So last weekend I spent a few hours putting the electric fans in....finally. I have only been planing this for at least 4 months.... The plan is to run the fans in the fall to spring, when max cooling is not required, and I am interested to see if there is any MPG to be gained by this.

OK so here what I did.

First I was going to run a fan from the Junkyard. I grabbed a fan from a 3.8L Ford Taurus, but when I tried to put it on the radiator I did not have enough room...thank my Fluid damper for that.

So I measured how much room I had...about 3.5" from the face of the rad, before I hit the engine accessories. So next I was going to run a single 16" electric fan...slim design...they are about 2.5" deep. But I couldn't find one I liked, nor the CFM I wanted. So eventually I did some measurements and figured I could make two 12" electric fans work.

After ordering the electric fans I first thought of making a plate tight shroud that would use the factory mounting points. But after a bit of math I found that the amount of open surface area for the air to move through was significantly less then the opening in the factory shroud.

Next idea was to make a frame work from 1" angle iron and still use the factory mounting points. This seemed to be the way to go.

Once the fans were in place I used a very small drill bit to make holes through the fan mounting points...they were already there just didn't go all the way through. Then through the frame and secure with a bit of wire.

Mounted up....

I used 4 screws and nuts on the outside edges...2 on each side...to secure the fans. (never grabbed a pic of this, but you can see them in later pics). I also positioned the frame on the rad, and cut 4 legs so that I could mount it in factory shroud location.