Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  5

Thread: Best way to clean rust off cylinder walls and Pistons

1. Top Of Page | #1
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Best way to clean rust off cylinder walls and Pistons

What's the best way to clean the top deck of my 06 5.9 rust inside the cylinders and Pistons need help asap!! Buddy never covered it then rain came.. Yes I agree..

Last edited by bigredtank22; 08-10-2015 at 04:38 PM. Reason: Can't add photo

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Like how bad is it?

Ask us how to become a Lifetime Platinum Member today!

"The grass is greener where you water it"

3. Top Of Page | #3

4. Likes IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Soak everything in some used diesel oil and wipe out clean. Then you can evaluate it better. If it's pitted, you may be able to hone the cylinders depending on the depth of the pits. You should be honing on a rebuild anyway.

The deck is pretty easy. Wash it down with the same oil. You can get away with a 3M scuffing pad or equal. Kind of like that thing on the back of the sponges. If it's pitted, the gasket will compensate unless it's near a combustion hole.

It all depends on the damage and how long it's been like that. I had a few trophy winning hemi's we got away with stuff like that. Never built one that did less than 9 seconds

@bigredtank22

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

6. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post