Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: charging your batteries

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

charging your batteries

Ok, so, Im going to be "that guy" for a minute. As some of you know, we had a cummins KIA (mine) fuel pump went shotski. Well, when it died, I kept trying to start it as my eyes started to water from, well, lets call it sweating. she wouldn't start back up, had to call my dad to get a tow home from his half ton ford... (will never hear the end of that)

Its home, and as I finally am able to order my new FASS 150 I think I might have drained the batteries a little. not to terribly much, but I have a four wheeler battery charger, figured for the hell of it, mind as well charge the batteries while she sits to wait to go under the knife. It'll charge those big batteries, Ive done it before, just takes a little while, but... I've got the time to wait..

Now, question is, how to charge the batteries.. never done it on a diesel, never had to, to be honest. I just want to make sure I do it right, cause the last thing I need to do is torch my batteries. and would you use the same routine to jump start it?

I hate being "that guy" but It needed to be asked.

Thanks boys! hope to get the silver moose back on its feet soon!

2004.5 Cummins 2500 SLT - Smarty s06 - FASS 150 With Heater Element - 4" Straight pipe exhaust 8" tip - Silencer Ring MIA - Banks intake - Skyjacker lift - 20" black rims wrapped with 35" terra grapplers - Rhino line two tone - Glow shift gauges - KC lights
    100k miles, gettin broke in

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

only need to hook up to one battery. they are linked. teh second one will charge slower. or you could hoow neg to one the pos to the other. just keep the amps low.

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Killer223 View Post
    only need to hook up to one battery. they are linked. teh second one will charge slower. or you could hoow neg to one the pos to the other. just keep the amps low.
    Agreed

Just hook up one battery and wait until spring. LOL

A small lesson on battery life

When lead acid batteries discharge, the acid turns to water. Yup it does. Water and lead don't react well. It causes the lead plates to oxidize. It's called Sufating. The longer you leave the discharged, the longer the plates have to get coated. This reduces battery capacity and life.

In the future, get the charger on them, doesn't matter what size it is because it causes the plates to percolate, keeping the oxidation off the plates.

If it's sat this long, technically it should get a fast charge. This can flex a plate and sometimes knock off the crust coating the plate.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

4. Likes Minion2012, E.mccarthy7018 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

well, I charged em. honestly, it didnt need it, but with the cold weather here in Minnesota, last thing I needed was for them to freeze! better safe then sorry!

2004.5 Cummins 2500 SLT - Smarty s06 - FASS 150 With Heater Element - 4" Straight pipe exhaust 8" tip - Silencer Ring MIA - Banks intake - Skyjacker lift - 20" black rims wrapped with 35" terra grapplers - Rhino line two tone - Glow shift gauges - KC lights

6. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stryker04cummins View Post
    well, I charged em. honestly, it didnt need it, but with the cold weather here in Minnesota, last thing I needed was for them to freeze! better safe then sorry!
    That's good! That means you didn't push the issue when the truck was down. Smart man.

I was just trying to impress you with some babbling BS. LOL I can't do it with brilliance.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

7. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    That's good! That means you didn't push the issue when the truck was down. Smart man.

I was just trying to impress you with some babbling BS. LOL I can't do it with brilliance.
    I tend to know a little more then the average guy (or at least I think I do )
    not gunna lie, had a hard time understanding that though LOL, so you got me on that!