Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  4
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: WHAT GEN TO BUY???

1. Top Of Page | #1
    Instagram Manager IG Operations's Avatar

User Info Menu

WHAT GEN TO BUY???

What's been up my little diesel piglets. Sooo I think I've finally given up on trading vehicles. Seems like everyone I get gas a butt load of hidden stuff that I end up havin to replace or fix making my trucks unreliable.

So as soon as I sell my 1st gen, which u traded for and had a bunch of hidden little problems, I'm gunna finally TAKE OUT A LOAN!! Crazy I know. I've owned 9 vehicles in 3. Haven't paid for one. Just trades.

Now here's the question. WHAT GEN DO I BUY? To be honest I really want a 98 12v, nv4500, 4wd extended cab. With LOW miles. And it's GOTTA be clean.. But I started to think if I'm finally going to take out a loan, should I invest in a 3rd gen 5.9? Between 04-07. I want RELIABILITY for just once in my life. I wanna be able to haul anythjng and not worry about what's gunna break. I wanna get decent fuel mileage. And since I'm finally taking out a loan, this truck will probably be my daily for MANY years to come. I will not be getting any other truck anytime soon. So do I update and get something new between 04-07? Or find the cleanest 12v possible?

Side questions. For the 04-07, the nv5600 is better than the G56 no? Did any of those years have relatively common problems more often than not. Or more than another year. I know VERY little about common rails... I'm pretty much just a 12v. So educate me

Thanks yinz. Jared

Tag us @ #igotacummins_com to have your photos reposted.

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

What's your budget?

"The grass is greener where you water it"

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Around 20k looking to spend from 15-23k

4. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

But I feel like 15-20k is a tad too much for any 2gen 12v.

5. Top Of Page | #5
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

For your question about trans, personally I think the NV5600 was/is the better of the two. I know of 2 guys that haven't done any power adders one is 06, the other an 07 5.9, that ended up cracking or shelling their G56 and swapped it to the NV with no looking back. So if you really use your truck the NV seems to be the way to go. But if you find a great deal on one with a G56 the swap can be done for under 3k

6. Top Of Page | #6
    Permanent Vacation Calibrated Addiction's Avatar

User Info Menu

The nv and the G56 both have weak points G56 it is the internals climbing and binding in the aluminum case. The nv hard parts can go pretty easy. I've seen my fair share of carnage on both and I'll say it's hard to put my finger on which is "Better"

I like the G56 because it shifts better than the nv imo. Point being you can break both fairly easily

7. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

I never liked the New Process trans

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

8. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Well I just found a nice 03 6 speed HO. FOR 15k. I'll past the link let me know what you guys think. I accidentally just sold the truck. So I need direction ASAP. Cuz I need something to drive

9. Top Of Page | #9
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Lmao, only you could accidentally sell a truck LOL.

10. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

2003 DODGE RAM 3500 DUALLY 5.9L HO CUMMINS DIESEL 6 SPD MANUAL 4X4 QUAD CAB $14990
    http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/ctd/4698992480.html

via cPro Craigslist App
    iOS: http://bit.ly/CL_iOS
    Android: http://bit.ly/CL_android

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast