Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  14

Thread: Metal In Fuel Filter?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Metal In Fuel Filter?

I have a 2015 RAM 3500 6.7 Cummins with 190,000Km. It is entirely deleted with Warp tuning.

I did an engine service yesterday and noticed metal flakes in the fuel drained from the fuel filter closest to the engine.

I then cleaned the drain pan well and replaced the water separator near the spare tire.

I found some metal in it as well.

It has been relatively cold the past weeks -8°C, and my truck has been smoking and mistaking upon start up, but this happens every winter, and I can't seem to change that.

I have always run fleetguard filters and done regular maintenance, changing the fuel filters once -twice a year (about every 12-15k KMS).

Does anyone know of any testing to determine if it's the low-pressure or the high-pressure pump?

I cut open my fuel filters last winter and didn't notice any metal, so this has happened this year.

2. Thanks AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Metal In Fuel Filter?

With metal shavings found after the engine-mounted fuel filter, the whole system is contaminated.

Short of disassembly and inspection of each pump, I can’t think of any way to isolate the two pumps to determine the source.

Hopefully, others will have suggestions.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

4. Thanks Corkey, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Thank you for your reply.

One thing I've noticed in the past is that when you key on, you can hear the delivery pump turn on but then turn off after about 2 seconds.

The only time it stays on longer is when the intake heater comes on.

It will then stay on for the length of the intake heater cycle and even after it turns off.

When I changed my fuel filters, I had to cycle the key about 20 times to fill the filters because the delivery pump wouldn't stay on.

6. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189, Corkey liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jordank View Post
    Thank you for your reply.

One thing I've noticed in the past is that when you key on, you can hear the delivery pump turn on but then turn off after about 2 seconds.

The only time it stays on longer is when the intake heater comes on.

It will then stay on for the length of the intake heater cycle and even after it turns off.

When I changed my fuel filters, I had to cycle the key about 20 times to fill the filters because the delivery pump wouldn't stay on.
    I usually use my scan tool to command the lift pump when priming the system.

What you described sounds normal; when the key is turned on without starting the truck, mine will run for almost 3 seconds.

If the starter is bumped without starting the engine, it will run for approximately 25 seconds.

I haven’t checked the pump on time with the grid heater on.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

8. Thanks Corkey thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, Corkey liked this post