Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  7

Thread: Need Turbo Help!

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Need Turbo Help!

Hello everyone just purchased my platinum membership and need some help.

I have a 2017 RAM 3500 that's been deleted since 8000 miles, and now I have 90k, and the turbo is finally giving me issues.

I will do away with the VGT and do either a 3rd Gen or 2nd Gen setup.

My question is, which turbo would you guys recommend for a heavy towing rig?

I frequently tow 45000 GCWR, and the truck stays hooked up to a trailer hauling logs, hay, cattle, and farm equipment 85% of the time.

It has a G56 with a Southbend towing clutch, and I keep it between 1600 and 3200 rpm and never lug it.

The fuel system is stock, and I more than likely won't upgrade parts until they fail.

When I deleted it, I had the head pulled and decked, with arp 625s and a Fleece coolant bypass installed.

The Doctor did tuning, which I'll use for the new tuning I will require.

What are some excellent turbos and 2nd/3rd gen kits I should look at?

I've been looking at the DPS 3G kit and Wehrli 2G kits.

I appreciate any help you can provide.

17 3500 G56 southbend dual disc, fleece coolant bypass, arp 625s, deleted and head decked @ 8k miles now have 90k. DRD tuning!

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Need Turbo Help!

Howdy - you are in about the same boat I was in with my actuator quitting at 83k.

There are ALOT of different combinations and variables to consider like overall power goal, budget, what other mods do you want to make or have, how do you want it to look etc.

Overall a 3rd Gen swap and 2nd Gen swap will have very similar results all things being equal. You will have lower EGT, lower drive pressure, more boost, and more reliability.

The main performance difference is the 2nd gen swap allows for a s400 turbo since the location of the exhaust port is high and centered. This makes sky the limit on your max power potential. Depending on your overall power goal the s400 may not be as advantageous as a s300sxe turbo which can fit on 2nd gen or 3rd gen manifold.

IMO if you want to stay below 700hp then go with the 3rd Gen swap and size the turbo accordingly. I run the 364/80/.91 on stock fuel. It runs awesome, spools quick, makes 46psi, egts are never over 1200* even on hot doc tune, and drive pressure is way down (right at 1:1). This turbo has 650hp potential with supporting mods. The BD Iron horn kits include the Borg Warner SXE series turbo which are top notch. They have a race housing to flow like a larger turbo (464), 360* thrust bearing, and billet wheel are all standard.

The G56 doesn't load like a 68RFE so its important to size it correctly. With that being said you towing heavy actually will help load the charger so you can likely go a bit bigger and get away with it if you wanted.

I'd be glad to get on a call with you to chat if you think that would be helpful.

Call or text me direct anytime 512.387.3553

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189, AK Bob thanked for this post