Thanks Thanks:  22
Likes Likes:  57
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Time For A New Turbo - Insight Needed

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Time For A New Turbo - Insight Needed

So I'm due for a new turbo, I guess.

I popped off my intake tube, and I found some oil in there. I wiped it out and made sure my catch can be empty. (I accidentally neglected that for a little too long earlier) I opened it up this afternoon again, and the oil is back in the turbo. The catch can is bone dry, and the breather tube goes into the intake.

The center shaft has some play side to side that I can feel, but in and out is solid. It also binds a bit if it is pushed to the side and turned and if left-center, it spins just fine.

It builds boost pretty well, but I feel like it isn't what it used to be.

So the question is, I am thinking about going with a cheetah for simplicity's sake, but a part of me wants a fixed vane.

If I went that flute, I think a 462 or 465 would be ideal.

As for the power, I don't need a race truck and needs it to spool and be an excellent daily driver.

Another question is, if I go fixed vane done will I have to have Ray work some magic so that the motor won't miss the turbo actuator?

I would love to do a 2nd Gen swap, but that will depend on this price as I don't have a ton of cash to throw around.

What are yalls thoughts?

2012 RAM 2500 Crew Cab SLT 6.7L.

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, SyN, AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Time For A New Turbo - Insight Needed

Quote Originally Posted by f18framer View Post
    So I'm due for a new turbo, I guess.

I popped off my intake tube, and I found some oil in there. I wiped it out and made sure my catch can be empty. (I accidentally neglected that for a little too long earlier) I opened it up this afternoon again, and the oil is back in the turbo. The catch can is bone dry, and the breather tube goes into the intake.

The center shaft has some play side to side that I can feel, but in and out is solid. It also binds a bit if it is pushed to the side and turned and if left-center, it spins just fine.

It builds boost pretty well, but I feel like it isn't what it used to be.

So the question is, I am thinking about going with a cheetah for simplicity's sake, but a part of me wants a fixed vane.

If I went that flute, I think a 462 or 465 would be ideal.

As for the power, I don't need a race truck and needs it to spool and be an excellent daily driver.

Another question is, if I go fixed vane done will I have to have Ray work some magic so that the motor won't miss the turbo actuator?

I would love to do a 2nd Gen swap, but that will depend on this price as I don't have a ton of cash to throw around.

What are yalls thoughts?
    Good evening, most of our customers go with a fleece cheetah or calibrated power stealth turbo.

If you go with a 2nd gen swap, Ray will need to adjust your files.

He can do it with ease though!

Most of our customers go with a 464 or a 467.

Just depends on how you use it and what kind of mods you would like to do in the future.

Holler if you have any questions!

Clayton

Matthew 6:9-13, 2 Corinthians 5:20
    See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email us at:
    sales@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

4. Thanks SyN, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes SyN, AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

If you're sticking with a drop in VGT, the Stainless 5 blade VGT is another great option.

I believe they have a stock replacement with the five-blade and a bigger 63mm version.

2017 2500 Laramie: DRD Juiced, 5" TBE, Invisible EGR mod, BD Iron Horn 364sxe/1.0AR, 20x10 Hostile Sprockets, 33x12.50 General Grabber A/T, HID Conversion, Reverse Level 2" Drop CSS Rear Coils

6. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Nice yea.

I wanted to put in a BD cobra compound kit, but I don't have that kind of money right now.

It's an extra two grand for the kit, plus I'm sure I'd need different injectors for that, which will require a new tune.

This being my only vehicle right now, I also can't afford it to be down for a week while installing that while setup, plus the inevitable setbacks that always happen with big mods.

2012 RAM 2500 Crew Cab SLT 6.7L.

8. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by f18framer View Post
    Nice yea.

I wanted to put in a BD cobra compound kit, but I don't have that kind of money right now.

It's an extra two grand for the kit, plus I'm sure I'd need different injectors for that, which will require a new tune.

This being my only vehicle right now, I also can't afford it to be down for a week while installing that while setup, plus the inevitable setbacks that always happen with big mods.
    If you haven't checked them out yet take a look at the BD Iron Horn 3rd Gen swaps.

You will get the same lower EGT, lower drive pressure, more boost, and more reliability like a 2nd Gen swap at about 1/2 the price.

The S300SXE turbos spool great.

This kit uses your factory down pipe, airbox, oil feed, oil drain, and manifold bolts which is why it is more cost effective.

The turbos are Borg Warner SXE series so come standard with a 360* thrust bearing, billet wheel, and race housing.

I run the 364 kit on my 2013 and its a great bump in power even on stock fuel.

BD Diesel | Iron Horn 6.7L Cummins Turbo Kit S364SXE/80 0.91AR Dodge/Ram 2007.5-2018 | 1045294 | DDPMOTORSPORTS.COM DUDESDIESELPERFORMANCE.COM

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

10. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, JeffL0 thanked for this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TexNeck View Post
    If you haven't checked them out yet take a look at the BD Iron Horn 3rd Gen swaps.

You will get the same lower EGT, lower drive pressure, more boost, and more reliability like a 2nd Gen swap at about 1/2 the price.

The S300SXE turbos spool great.

This kit uses your factory down pipe, airbox, oil feed, oil drain, and manifold bolts which is why it is more cost effective.

The turbos are Borg Warner SXE series so come standard with a 360* thrust bearing, billet wheel, and race housing.

I run the 364 kit on my 2013 and its a great bump in power even on stock fuel.

BD Diesel | Iron Horn 6.7L Cummins Turbo Kit S364SXE/80 0.91AR Dodge/Ram 2007.5-2018 | 1045294 | DDPMOTORSPORTS.COM DUDESDIESELPERFORMANCE.COM
    Can you do an "add a turbo" compound kit over this since it's in the stock VGT location?

2017 2500 Laramie: DRD Juiced, 5" TBE, Invisible EGR mod, BD Iron Horn 364sxe/1.0AR, 20x10 Hostile Sprockets, 33x12.50 General Grabber A/T, HID Conversion, Reverse Level 2" Drop CSS Rear Coils

12. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 6.7 Coal Train View Post
    Can you do an "add a turbo" compound kit over this since it's in the stock VGT location?
    It's not a "direct fit" since it is moved up slightly, but yes.

The Pusher adds a turbo kit would work nicely over the top with some adjustments.

As you likely know, there are always tweaks that will need to happen with the add a turbo kit.

2013 Ram 2500

FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

14. Thanks 6.7 Coal Train, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

It's not a "direct fit" since it is moved up slightly, but yes.

The Pusher adds a turbo kit would work nicely over the top with some adjustments.

As you likely know, there are always tweaks that will need to happen with the add a turbo kit.
    What do you think about doing the 3rd Gen swap with an add a turbo down the road vs. maybe dropping in a Fleece Cheetah for a while then doing the add a turbo over that?

I was pretty set on a 2nd Gen swap but back in the market for new options.

Not sure I love the idea of keeping the stock manifold, but the Cheetah would be an easy drop-in to avoid fuel for a while.

16. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 6.7 Coal Train View Post
    What do you think about doing the 3rd Gen swap with an add a turbo down the road vs. maybe dropping in a Fleece Cheetah for a while then doing the add a turbo over that?

I was pretty set on a 2nd Gen swap but back in the market for new options.

Not sure I love the idea of keeping the stock manifold, but the Cheetah would be an easy drop-in to avoid fuel for a while.
    That is what my plan is for 2013.

I am running the 364/80/.91 Iron horn kit.

It moves more air than stock fuel will make (about 650hp as a single).

Down the road, I plan to put an S480 over the top of it.

The benefits of lower EGT, lower drive pressure, and no VGT are pretty significant improvements over a Cheetah even.

My biggest concern was drive pressure and reliability (VGT).

Drive pressure with the 364 is under 1:1, so when I am making a 46psi boost, my drive pressure is the same if not lower than a stock turbo at 32psi.

2nd Gen swaps are great.

The main reason to go this over a 3rd Gen swap is to makeover 700hp with a single turbo.

2013 Ram 2500

FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

18. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

That is what my plan is for 2013.

I am running the 364/80/.91 Iron horn kit.

It moves more air than stock fuel will make (about 650hp as a single).

Down the road, I plan to put an S480 over the top of it.

The benefits of lower EGT, lower drive pressure, and no VGT are pretty significant improvements over a Cheetah even.

My biggest concern was drive pressure and reliability (VGT).

Drive pressure with the 364 is under 1:1, so when I am making a 46psi boost, my drive pressure is the same if not lower than a stock turbo at 32psi.

2nd Gen swaps are great.

The main reason to go this over a 3rd Gen swap is to makeover 700hp with a single turbo.
    I can't believe a 364 will make 650hp.

Pretty sure a 366 with fuel tops out around there.

I'll take your word for it.

I'm sure the 364 is very drivable and still a good bump on stock fuel though.

19. Likes watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast