Thanks Thanks:  29
Likes Likes:  101
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Pusher Compound Setup for 2016 RAM 2500

1. Top Of Page | #31

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Twalt1687 View Post
    Hey guys before you buy, there’s an article floating around a few diesel magazines the breaking points of the cummins bottom end (Connecting Rods) for some it’s common knowledge others a quick google search. Anyway my point is compounds are great if you know what setup to run and try to tune the fuel off the bottom end to come on later. With that said the almighty Ray even bent some rods with a compound setup, it doesn’t even need to be bigger compounds stock over 475 can do the trick also. With a single the torque comes on later so it’s not as hard on the rods, I always wanted compounds but knowing the issues that could lie ahead I always went the single route. There’s also the myth a single can’t make as much power and a single can’t tow as good, which are wrong. It’s all in proper sizing. I would say on stock fuel you guys would be fine with the setup you’re wanting, but if you have intentions in adding fuel down the road you may want to do a little research. Not hi jacking your thread just playing a little devils advocate here for anyone who wants some information. @DudesDiesel can also get some nice single kits!!!!!! LOL you wouldn’t think I’m married as much as I talk about the single life ??
    I heard the same concern pop up a couple times but i haven't done to much research. The part I don't get is why compounds are harder on the rods than a single if you're running the same fueling, horsepower, boot pressures etc. Ray was making just over 700whp with his single and over 800whp with is compounds at close to 80psi of boost pressure. Your point about the torque coming on earlier is a good one, but all things equal (shooting for the same HP and torque end goal) why are compounds harder on the rods?

I also agree with your points about singles making big power and towing well (not from any personal experience, just from research) but don't compounds just do it more easily?

2016 Ram 2500 Mega Cab - 68RFE - Carli 2.5" level coils - Carli radius arm drops - Carli 1" rear coils w/ RC 1" rear spacers - 17x8.5 0mm Method Mesh - 37x12.5r17 Toyo R/T - AAM 4.10 gears - Airlift 5000 bags - Airlift Wireless OBO - PacBrake Oil Filter Relocator

2. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #32
    Quote Originally Posted by scs210 View Post
    I heard the same concern pop up a couple times but i haven't done to much research. The part I don't get is why compounds are harder on the rods than a single if you're running the same fueling, horsepower, boot pressures etc. Ray was making just over 700whp with his single and over 800whp with is compounds at close to 80psi of boost pressure. Your point about the torque coming on earlier is a good one, but all things equal (shooting for the same HP and torque end goal) why are compounds harder on the rods?

I also agree with your points about singles making big power and towing well (not from any personal experience, just from research) but don't compounds just do it more easily?

It’s just that initial surge of torque the compounds are capable of that these stock rods do not like, with a single you don’t get as much grunt initially it’s a smoother power throughout the power band as far as for what you would want with stock rods. With that said there’s guys running 1000 horse with a single on a stock bottom end and no issues, where guys with 7-800 horsepower with compounds bending rods. It all comes down to the torque curve if you put the two side by side, the end hp doesn’t really matter because they get there differently, as I said above you can actually get away with more power with a single. Now if you talk with Ray, I know tuners can play with that torque curve to “lighten up” that initial hit. Yes I would agree compounds probably do make towing easier, but I’m bias to a single and tow everything my friends with compounds do. So in that aspect you’re working that single harder if you have big time weight back there, if you don’t tow more than say 10k then you wouldn’t notice much difference in either setup. It would be the heavy weight where you notice the difference. Hope this helps, it’s one of these topics I’ve seen a lot over time and it’s ultimately what you want. If you are dead set on compounds then I would say get them and let Ray play how to bring on the boost to protect you. Also I’m not saying you can’t bend or break a rod with a single either, you just have more room for error.

2018 2500, G56, SSSB3600, Arp625 Head studs, Arp Manifold studs,BD Diesel FMW 467.7 2nd gen swapped, MM3 Custom tuning by Ray, Ceramic Pro Gold, Toyo Mt 33x12.50x20, Hostile Sprocket 20x10 -19, Fass 165, DDP 150 sticks,10mm exergy stroker pump, Bd Throttle Booster, Money Pit! The fass165 150 sticks and 10mm pump did ok but was running out of rail for anyone interested. It's now gonna have DDP 100%'s, DDP 12mm pump and a FASS 250gph

4. Thanks scs210 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #33

User Info Menu

This is true about bending rods but, as long as your not at a stop and just flooring the go pedal which your tranny won't like it anyway.

Driving conservatively off the beginning I believe is best with compounds, but who knows maybe it will get you on the top end as well.

One thing I I know for sure is I will let you know. LOL

16 cummins Laramie longhorn, ccsb, 35x12.5x20 xplora mts ,tis wheels,fully deleted, pusher add a turbo kit,stainless diesel 475 5blade turbo over 63mm VGT delete turbo,manton springs, manton valve bridges,manton pushrods,ARP 625 headstuds,steedspeed t4i manifold , S&S 80% over injectors, thuren rear trackbar, kingspeed billet valve cover, revmax valve body billet plate, CCV reroute, pusher intake horn, thuren 2in level with king 2.5 front and rear, sway bar kit ,track bar and king steering damper. Air bags from airlift. 4" exhaust, fass lift pump,MM3,DRD tunes.pusher coolant reroute.

6. Thanks Cummins7 thanked for this post
  7. Top Of Page | #34

User Info Menu

Also it would be nice to hear from a person who has a compound kit on their truck and what they are experiencing and how much fuel they have and tuning.

What they like about it and what they don't like about it.

Just because this has happened to some people from what people have heard is also why other people get scared away from setups like these.

Honestly if your that scared about bending a rod perhaps another hobby is best like sowing or something.

Hahaha I'm just saying don't get butt hurt to anyone who reads this.

But really now let's hear it from the guys or gals who have a compound setup. Voice away!!!

16 cummins Laramie longhorn, ccsb, 35x12.5x20 xplora mts ,tis wheels,fully deleted, pusher add a turbo kit,stainless diesel 475 5blade turbo over 63mm VGT delete turbo,manton springs, manton valve bridges,manton pushrods,ARP 625 headstuds,steedspeed t4i manifold , S&S 80% over injectors, thuren rear trackbar, kingspeed billet valve cover, revmax valve body billet plate, CCV reroute, pusher intake horn, thuren 2in level with king 2.5 front and rear, sway bar kit ,track bar and king steering damper. Air bags from airlift. 4" exhaust, fass lift pump,MM3,DRD tunes.pusher coolant reroute.

8. Thanks watersupply189, scs210 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #35

User Info Menu

Any update?

2016 Ram 2500 Mega Cab - 68RFE - Carli 2.5" level coils - Carli radius arm drops - Carli 1" rear coils w/ RC 1" rear spacers - 17x8.5 0mm Method Mesh - 37x12.5r17 Toyo R/T - AAM 4.10 gears - Airlift 5000 bags - Airlift Wireless OBO - PacBrake Oil Filter Relocator

10. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #36

User Info Menu

Injectors will be here thursday , just waiting for that and put the valve springs in.

12. Likes watersupply189, Twalt1687 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #37

User Info Menu

Following

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

14. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #38

User Info Menu

20200415_160511.jpg

Got the valve springs in today wasn't too bad of a job just takes a little time and patience.

Injectors will be here tomorrow from Dynomite Diesel their old injectors just new nozzles and balanced.

16. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189 thanked for this post
  17. Top Of Page | #39
    Quote Originally Posted by Bpbertolacini View Post
    20200415_160511.jpg

Got the valve springs in today wasn't too bad of a job just takes a little time and patience.

Injectors will be here tomorrow from Dynomite Diesel their old injectors just new nozzles and balanced.
    Awesome man!

Can’t go wrong with DDP injectors they know their stuff and been around a long time, what size nozzles did you go with?

2018 2500, G56, SSSB3600, Arp625 Head studs, Arp Manifold studs,BD Diesel FMW 467.7 2nd gen swapped, MM3 Custom tuning by Ray, Ceramic Pro Gold, Toyo Mt 33x12.50x20, Hostile Sprocket 20x10 -19, Fass 165, DDP 150 sticks,10mm exergy stroker pump, Bd Throttle Booster, Money Pit! The fass165 150 sticks and 10mm pump did ok but was running out of rail for anyone interested. It's now gonna have DDP 100%'s, DDP 12mm pump and a FASS 250gph

18. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #40

User Info Menu

I only went with 90hp nozzels for now unfortunately.

I wish I went with a 45% and dialed it back, but we will see.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast