Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  6

Thread: T79 Recall and locked column gear shift

1. Top Of Page | #1
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

T79 Recall and locked column gear shift

Took a trip to the hardware store today and depressed the brake and Column shift was locked ? could not get it into drive or reverse ..My truck is a 13 i see the 17s recalled . Any one had this done or did it themselves ,looks like Dorman has a new replacement for $ 62 bucks ..But ? does the ecu need Reflashed after installed ? After turning truck off and on a couple times it released itself ..Cant wait until it does this to my wife LOL any thoughts ?

2. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: T79 Recall and locked column gear shift

I thought the T79 recall was to address the shift interlock NOT engaging and allowing the shifter to shift out of park without the key or application of the brake. Sounds like you had the opposite problem. Looks like you can test it yourself to see if you need the work done, take a look at the attached.

Attached Files Attached Files
    Brent
    2017 Ram 2500 Limited / 6.7 / 68RFE / BDS 8" Lift / 38 x 13.5 Trail Grapplers / 20 x 10 Hostile Wheels
    2020 Ram 2500 Tradesman / 6.7 / 68RFE
    1993 W250 LE / 5.9 12V / G360 - 5 Speed

4. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes Gearheadgregg, watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

My thoughts also . I have the dealer PDF also for checking in different positions . It was going into gear without depressing the peddle also today after it fixed itself ? , I also see that their is a emergency release either under the Steering column with pencil or panel at knee left side release . feels like it is getting stuck with the pin in the other position locked ? Also was parked on Flat lot so no pressure was on the park stop in the Trans ...i will poke around and report back for fix , Any one had this replaced ?

6. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

OK went through the T79 check list.

First i got into the truck this morning and Column shift was firmly locked.

After reading recommendations and instructions i then applied Parking brake "first time ever" LOL.

Turn key to run position and foot on brake and smoothly went into all gears.. did this with motor running and off in run pos.

Then waited after truck was off key out to recheck locking Column functions.

The time to re-lock is supposed to be 2 seconds ..well it took around 10 seconds that could be why yesterday I complained it was not locking for safety.

So looks like I will now start using my Park brake and see it this is the fix .. fingers crossed.

If it does this lockout again to the dealer we go for now it works as designed.

Not sure what that was all about.

8. Likes watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post