Thanks Thanks:  168
Likes Likes:  430
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: City Diesel Actuator for 2013+ Cummins 6.7L

1. Top Of Page | #111

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Justin365 View Post
    Thus is great. How do we check the actuator gear prior to purchase? Take the old off and make sure it works?
    They want you to make sure the turbo side moves freely before you purchase.

If it’s sticking or not moving it could be what the actual problem is or could have cause the original to die and could damage the new one I would think.

Someone may chime in with more of better info. I didn’t get to check mine.

I had a bolt seized in the housing and ended up breaking my housing so I did a bd diesel iron horn swap.

Have torches or something on stand by for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Likes watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #112

User Info Menu

My big question is can these be used with aftermarket turbos such as the Fleece, BD, ATS, Turbo Time, Tater built and others?

When the time comes don't want to worry what turbos I can or cannot run when I have to switch this out.

(Trying to include every major turbo I can think of for ease of info for myself and other Thanks)

Synergy Steering brace, Draglink, & Tie Rod, Thuren front leveling coils & Track bar, 5160 Bilstein Shocks, Banks CAI intake, LED everything, projector headlights, dieselfuelfilterkits, Steelcraft Line-x Door Sills, Elevation Front Bumper with Line-x Pro.

4. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #113

User Info Menu

Where the video?

6. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #114

User Info Menu

City Diesel Actuator for 2013+ Cummins 6.7L

I have a question.

I replaced my actuator with this one from City Diesel.

I also have some DRD Tunes on my 2015.

Seemed to be a good install, but when I went through the sound tunes, specifically the whistle tune, the actuator seems to try and correct the whistle and minimizes it to barely nothing.

Truck runs good, it’s just the whistle tune that it messes with.

My question is, since we do not calibrate this actuator, is it always trying to “hone in”?

I’ll try to post a video here shortly.

8. Thanks watersupply189, AK Bob thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, cwendel liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #115

User Info Menu

Re: City Diesel Actuator for 2013+ Cummins 6.7L

Ok, spoke with city diesel. I’m sure it’s somewhere in this forum, but the City Diesel Actuator is a bit smarter than I thought. When a whistle tune is sent, this Actuator will try to correct it. Other than that the actuator works good. Although I couldn’t do it my self, all the bolts on the old actuator were seized. But all my troubles have been fixed. I can live without the whistle tune.

10. Thanks watersupply189, AK Bob thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #116

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jlrodusmc View Post
    I have a question.

I replaced my actuator with this one from City Diesel.

I also have some DRD Tunes on my 2015.

Seemed to be a good install, but when I went through the sound tunes, specifically the whistle tune, the actuator seems to try and correct the whistle and minimizes it to barely nothing.

Truck runs good, it’s just the whistle tune that it messes with.

My question is, since we do not calibrate this actuator, is it always trying to “hone in”?

I’ll try to post a video here shortly.

Interesting question.

My thinking was it self calibrated each time at key on, but could be wrong.

I would think the whistle tune simply sets the actuator to a specific percentage to create the sound.

Have you contacted City Diesel or DRD for their inputs?

Please keep us posted.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

12. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #117

User Info Menu

Ok, spoke with city diesel. I’m sure it’s somewhere in this forum, but the City Diesel Actuator is a bit smarter than I thought. When a whistle tune is sent, this Actuator will try to correct it. Other than that the actuator works good. Although I couldn’t do it my self, all the bolts on the old actuator were seized. But all my troubles have been fixed. I can live without the whistle tune.

Thanks for the information this is a good thing to know before purchasing the actuator or whistle tune. You just saved someone a bunch of money and aggravation. If you have time please post a video or sound clip the way it sounds now.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

14. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #118

User Info Menu

Again, City Diesel said that the Whistle tune is not supported. But just to let it be known, the actuator is working great, it is more responsive. I am not sure but my EB does feel quicker and stronger. my tunes are also working well as well as the 12V and Lope. I can live with a working engine that is breathing way better and no whistle tune That was what I was after with the actuator and the weight loss. One thing I did notice was that once I took some weight off, I did not have actuator codes come on. May have been able to go without replacing the actuator for awhile but it was coming I think. Also, I noticed that I have codes actuator codes and FIW codes when I was near the beach.

This is what City Diesel emailed me. "You are correct the sound tune is what is causing your problem. Our actuator uses a different vane strategy than the oem actuator and does not support "sound" tunes. The reason for this is in order to provide a faster throttle response our actuator commands the vanes further open than OEM when your not in exhaust brake territory, and when you cross into exhaust brake range it will move faster to catch up and provide good exhaust brake power. This sound tune appears to command the vanes at idle to the exact spot where this crosses and causes a problem."

They also told me not to run the whistle tune.

Here is what freaked me out when I replaced the Actuator.

16. Thanks AK Bob, watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #119

User Info Menu

Again, City Diesel said that the Whistle tune is not supported. But just to let it be known, the actuator is working great, it is more responsive. I am not sure but my EB does feel quicker and stronger. my tunes are also working well as well as the 12V and Lope. I can live with a working engine that is breathing way better and no whistle tune That was what I was after with the actuator and the weight loss. One thing I did notice was that once I took some weight off, I did not have actuator codes come on. May have been able to go without replacing the actuator for awhile but it was coming I think. Also, I noticed that I have codes actuator codes and FIW codes when I was near the beach.

This is what City Diesel emailed me. "You are correct the sound tune is what is causing your problem. Our actuator uses a different vane strategy than the oem actuator and does not support "sound" tunes. The reason for this is in order to provide a faster throttle response our actuator commands the vanes further open than OEM when your not in exhaust brake territory, and when you cross into exhaust brake range it will move faster to catch up and provide good exhaust brake power. This sound tune appears to command the vanes at idle to the exact spot where this crosses and causes a problem."

They also told me not to run the whistle tune.

Here is what freaked me out when I replaced the Actuator.

Thanks for the information,

I agree with you and see why you were concerned initially.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

18. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #120

User Info Menu

Thanks for the information.

I’ve been running the whistle tune since I purchased the MM3 for the last 50k miles on the same actuator with no problems at all.

I now have 75k on the truck.

2016 Ram 3500 CC 4x4, G56, Dr. DRD medically cured!

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab ,G56

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast