Thanks Thanks:  38
Likes Likes:  104
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Any mods worth doing without tuning

1. Top Of Page | #31

User Info Menu

Re: Any mods worth doing without tuning

That's what I did - pulled the foam and reinstalled the core. I'll have to check the security of that plastic piece. Rattling could equal wear, wear could equal the inhalation of plastic peices....

2012 Ram 3500 Laramie, 3" BDS Coil over, DuraFlap, 68RFE, 4.10, 35s, Front receiver, Krown protected

2. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #32

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RamIt View Post
    That plastic piece just rattles around inside the tube at that point and doesn't do anything.

Best bet is to just run a new piece of pipe from turbo inlet to air box.
    I removed my foam and left the black plastic piece in it and it doesn’t rattle at all on mine. Matter of fact it’s in there pretty solid. The plastic part helps control air flow smooth directly to the center of the turbo impeller. Without it the air is turbulent which causes air to hit the impeller indirectly which can cause premature failure over time.
    I agree a smooth tube would probably work but for those that want to keep their stock tube, I would recommend keeping the plastic part in it (minus the foam) just my 2 cents worth...

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, Rough Country Leveling, HID headlights, Morimoto LED fogs plus a whole lot more!

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab ,G56

4. Thanks BlackBart thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, Thomas1960 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #33

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by watersupply189 View Post
    I removed my foam and left the black plastic piece in it and it doesn’t rattle at all on mine. Matter of fact it’s in there pretty solid. The plastic part helps control air flow smooth directly to the center of the turbo impeller. Without it the air is turbulent which causes air to hit the impeller indirectly which can cause premature failure over time.
    I agree a smooth tube would probably work but for those that want to keep their stock tube, I would recommend keeping the plastic part in it (minus the foam) just my 2 cents worth...

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, Rough Country Leveling, HID headlights, Morimoto LED fogs plus a whole lot more!
    Mine surely was not snug in my OE piping. And while I don't dispute what that piece is intended to do, on paper, I would only believe it if I could see a flow test of the pipe in stock form, minus foam, and minus that whole assembly. I don't buy the premature failure part simply because pre-turbo lacks pressure, I could see on a compound setup turbulent air causing failure of a secondary turbo, but the turbulence in that part of the intake tract should be negligible.

6. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #34

User Info Menu

Mine surely was not snug in my OE piping. And while I don't dispute what that piece is intended to do, on paper, I would only believe it if I could see a flow test of the pipe in stock form, minus foam, and minus that whole assembly. I don't buy the premature failure part simply because pre-turbo lacks pressure, I could see on a compound setup turbulent air causing failure of a secondary turbo, but the turbulence in that part of the intake tract should be negligible.
    I agree that it lacks pressure as compared to a compound setup but there is a reason that tube was designed and shaped the way it is.

Maybe it was designed only to keep the foam in place but looking at the tube with and without that piece, logic would have it that it keeps the air flow to hit directly to the center of the impeller and not off to one side without it.

I ran mine for two years without it and my impeller has some wiggle on it now. I don’t know if that’s normal wiggle or not since I didn’t check it at the time I removed that piece but after doing some researching on it I decided to put that piece back in without the foam.

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab ,G56

8. Likes AK Bob liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #35

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by watersupply189 View Post
    I agree that it lacks pressure as compared to a compound setup but there is a reason that tube was designed and shaped the way it is.

Maybe it was designed only to keep the foam in place but looking at the tube with and without that piece, logic would have it that it keeps the air flow to hit directly to the center of the impeller and not off to one side without it.

I ran mine for two years without it and my impeller has some wiggle on it now. I don’t know if that’s normal wiggle or not since I didn’t check it at the time I removed that piece but after doing some researching on it I decided to put that piece back in without the foam.

In an attempt to provide clarity, I've proposed a "what is this" question to both Cummins North America & Ram Trucks to see if they can provide some information regarding the exact premise of the device.

We will see what they say, if they reply.

10. Thanks watersupply189, BlackBart thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #36

User Info Menu

There is a video with flow bench see l results. Looking for it now..... stay tuned

2012 Ram 3500 Laramie, 3" BDS Coil over, DuraFlap, 68RFE, 4.10, 35s, Front receiver, Krown protected

12. Thanks RamIt, watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes RamIt, watersupply189 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #37

User Info Menu

There she is...

14. Thanks RamIt, watersupply189 thanked for this post
  15. Top Of Page | #38

User Info Menu

Before I catch a raft of sh**. He uses fairly comprehensive readings from the truck to determine efficiency, not a true flow bench. Sorry for the confusion

16. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #39

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CMB View Post

There she is...
    Interesting information. The difference between the two is very small, but noticeable difference in CFM inducted.
    I'm actually impressed by this, especially considering that this was a decision by Ram, not by Cummins.

18. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #40

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CMB View Post

There she is...
    This is an excellent video. The effect on airflow and it's relationship to MPGs was well stated. For me, I'll take the slight gain in MPGs over the slight gain in performance.

Greg
    2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | Custom tuned by Double R Diesel
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

20. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast