Hello everyone,

I'll state the obvious first so we can get passed it. I'm new to the towing arena and screwed up. I thought a 2500 would be enough to tow a 15Klb load. I did not realize I was calculating it all wrong and not allowing for the trailer weight. So I am looking for ways to keep the truck I love so much as opposed to getting a new 3500.

Speaking of a 3500 I started looking just in case I had/have to go that way and on Ram's site you can type in your vin# and it will tell you what YOUR truck is rated at. I was shocked to say the least that not all 3500s' can pull 30K+ lbs. As a matter of fact there are more on the lots that are rated at 16-20K than anything else.

So then I looked at the 4500 and 5500 C&C options and the same thing! So just because you have a 3500 or larger does not mean it can pull more. I'm kind of puzzled how a 4500 or 5500 can tow less than a 3500, but I digress.

On with my situation, I have a 2018 2500 that I love and it's rated at 17,200lbs for towing. I would like to bump this number up to 20K if possible.

Here is what I have or think I know:
I have a 68RFE with 3:42 gears. I know I will need to beef up the tranny. I'm thinking a RevMax 5-Stage TC, valve body, bypass, Flexplate, and the steel screw. If that is not enough I'll just buy the RevMax tranny for it.

On Ram's site it looks like all the trucks that have an option to switch to the 3:73 gears get an instant 2,000lb gain in their tow rating. That would bring me up to a 19K lb tow rating and if I add an airbag kit and a stiffer sway bar would that be enough?

I'm planning on using the MM3 EGRLESS tune from DRD. That will put me a bit over 400Hp and I'm not sure on the torque number yet.

I saw on one airbag site that says their kit will increase your tow rating 10% while other sites seem to shy away from making any such claim. I'm not sure if that's because it actually does not raise your tow rating or if they legally cannot make such a claim. If it's true (even if they cannot claim it) that would put me just over 20K lbs.

I greatly appreciate any and all help.
Michael