Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: P1689 after new VP44

1. Top Of Page | #1
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

P1689 after new VP44

Alright guys heres my problem. My truck was throwing the po216 code so i replaced the pump and it went away. I thought all was good untill it threw the p1689 code (communication failure between ecm and fpcm). The truck will just randomly die, dead pedal, sound like its sorta backfiring out the exhaust, haze a constant blue, not shift from first gear, not rev past 1400 rpm or it will run good with the code. Then somedays the code goes away and it runs great. My question is, is my new VP44 defective? Or does this sound like a wiring or ecm issue? Keep in mind this started after the new pump was installed and this code was never present before. Thanks in advance for some input!

2. Top Of Page | #2
    Permanent Vacation Diesel Dawgs Performance's Avatar

User Info Menu

Sounds like a bad ECM.... whos VP44?

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

check the crank sensor. Take it out and look for cracks. Try cleaning the face off first. Cam sensors were known to go bad in those early models too. Losing a cam sensor after startup could be confusing the ECM. Check them both

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

4. Top Of Page | #4
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

The VP is from thoroughbred diesel. Ill take a look at the crank and cam senors. The crank sensor isnt even 2 months old yet. If it does turn out to be a ECM are they dealer only or can i buy one online somewhere?

5. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Used ones are all over the place

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

6. Top Of Page | #6
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Ive been looking around, think i found one from a guy a few hours away from me