Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  9

Thread: 24 Valve Questions

1. Top Of Page | #1
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

24 Valve Questions

Buying a truck with a 24 Valve. I've built a 12 Valve before and wondering what I should expect to upgrade before putting big power adders to the motor and trans. It has the auto in it now but I will be switching it to the 6 speed from a common rail truck eventually as I did with the 12 Valve. Appreciate any and all insight on this matter that can be provided.

2. Thanks Shane Kirk thanked for this post
    Likes Shane Kirk liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2
    Permanent Vacation Diesel Dawgs Performance's Avatar

User Info Menu

I would start with a good set of isspro or autometer gauges. My next step would probably be a fuel system upgrade such as a FASS.

Luke

4. Thanks Shane Kirk thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

first thing you need is a good lift pump or the injection pump will go out
    but after that about the same as the 12v just these need tuners not just turning up the pump

6. Thanks Shane Kirk thanked for this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Fuel pressure gauge, then lift pump. If you haven't bought the truck yet, and dodge dealer should be able to test the lift pump pressure at idle easily. If the pressure is poor, the truck will likely need a new VP in the near future. The key trick(on, off, on, off, on) will show codes present.

Stock motor parts are good for plenty of power. Head studs are always a good idea, valve springs too if you plan on running high boost and/or rpm. Beside that, the motor itself is plenty stout for all the fuel a VP can throw at it.

24Vs are still mechanical injectors, so injector sizing (by CSA) will be similar

Last edited by chrisd91; 03-26-2013 at 01:44 AM.

8. Thanks K-Sons, Shane Kirk thanked for this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

They're mechanical up to 2002. Then they go to ECU controlled. That's where it starts to suck

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

10. Thanks Shane Kirk thanked for this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    They're mechanical up to 2002. Then they go to ECU controlled. That's where it starts to suck
    when they went common rail yes but 02 is still mech changed in 03

12. Thanks Shane Kirk thanked for this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Ugh Typo sorry

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

14. Thanks Shane Kirk thanked for this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    By 24v I am referring to the 98.5-02 VP44 trucks. While the later common rail trucks (03+) are also 24vs, it seems to be convention to refer to them by their injection setup (common rail). Sorry for not clarifying

16. Thanks Shane Kirk thanked for this post
    Likes K-Sons, Shane Kirk liked this post