Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  24

Thread: I'd like to have 5 minutes alone with the idiot who thought this one up

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

I'd like to have 5 minutes alone with the idiot who thought this one up

Since summer hit and I have the windows down, I've heard a squeak when I hit bumps. Didn't matter how small a bump. Had my wife get in the bed and bounce up and down a little, which took a bit because she's so small.

I'm under the truck trying to find the source and the sound is all over the place. Finally traced it down to the right rear shock. As I grab the top of the shock, it moves. Not just the shock, but also the mounting bolt. I pulled the lower bolt and the shock and about 3" of the upper shock bolt came out with the shock. The bolt had broken roughly in half. And it's rusted. Even the end where it had broken was rusted.

Ok, things happen. I don't off road or any of that. I drive and I tow. Truck has a little over 100K on her. Shouldn't have happened, but it did. To clarify a bit, over the frame is welded a 'saddle' that is for, in this case, the front 5th wheel puck on the passenger side. Thru that saddle is the mounting bolt for the shock.

Anyway, locate the head of the bolt on the outside of the frame. It's tight against the frame. I use my impact driver to loosen it. It doesn't budge and I figure it's really rusted. Problem is the socket (21mm) won't fit on the head of the bolt all the way. I'm not getting a good bite.

I look closer and the head of the bolt is TACK WELDED to the frame! Ary you freakin' kidding me!! I look at the other 4 bolt head and they're ALL welded!!

Longer story short, it takes a side grinder with a cut off wheel to remove the head, a torch to heat up the frame around the bolt a long punch and a big freakin' hammer to remove what was left of the bolt. It was rusted like it had been in salt water for 10 years.

Had to order the bolts from Fastenal. $17 each plus shipping. I ordered 2 and it's a good thing I did.

I removed the other shock tonight. Bottom bolt came right out just like the other. Are you ready for this? I was able to get the shock off the the rubber bushing but not the bushing or sleeve that goes over the bolt. I may have to cut the head off that one too.

I have an appointment at the dealership tomorrow for the shifter recall. I'm going to tell them to get the bolt cleaned off. Whatever it takes.

We'll see what happens.

Last edited by Whitewolf; 07-16-2018 at 11:14 AM. Reason: spelling

2. Thanks Power247 thanked for this post
    Likes walla2k5, david3gen, cumminsbadgirl liked this post