Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: 2012 Ram 3500 programming “lost”

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

2012 Ram 3500 programming “lost”

I got a friend with a 2012 Ram 3500 that had to remove the DPF because it was stopped up and the muffler shop programmed his truck for him for the delete. I’m assuming it was an H&S programmer if I know the guy. Everything has worked perfectly fine up until the other day, when he had to replace the batteries. Problem is-he’s in Pennsylvania welding on a pipeline and the muffler shop is back here in east Texas. I’m trying to help him out but I’m here and he’s there. All of his cel’s are popping on and it’s putting it into limp mode. I told him to just buy himself a programmer and keep it with him. Any reason y’all know of that it would revert back to the factory programming? I’m at a loss on this one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: 2012 Ram 3500 programming “lost”

Sounds like someone messed up big time. ?

*Ask about becoming a Lifetime Platinum Member Today*

"The grass is greener where you water it"

3. Likes david3gen liked this post
  4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

I can't imagine how changing the batteries would cause the ECM to revert back to the factory tuning. Any chance he went to a dealership recently? That's really the only way I could see that happening.

Greg
    2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | Custom tuned by Double R Diesel
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

5. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Power247 View Post
    I can't imagine how changing the batteries would cause the ECM to revert back to the factory tuning. Any chance he went to a dealership recently? That's really the only way I could see that happening.

Greg
    That was the first thing I asked him because I had a dealership do that to me before. I don’t like the idea of a muffler shop programming the truck and keeping the programmer. That’s a situation waiting to happen but he thought he could save a little money. I’m not familiar with the 2010-2012 trucks, but I didn’t think you had to unlock the ecm like on the later models. Whole lot cheaper to delete if that’s the case.

6. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by easttxram View Post
    That was the first thing I asked him because I had a dealership do that to me before. I don’t like the idea of a muffler shop programming the truck and keeping the programmer. That’s a situation waiting to happen but he thought he could save a little money. I’m not familiar with the 2010-2012 trucks, but I didn’t think you had to unlock the ecm like on the later models. Whole lot cheaper to delete if that’s the case.

Correct, the ECM is not locked. If he's just trying to get rid of the codes, he can get a RaceME Jr. It's about the cheapest tuning route I know of. No trans tuning but the engine tunes are quite good for box tunes.

Greg

Greg

7. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Power247 View Post
    Correct, the ECM is not locked. If he's just trying to get rid of the codes, he can get a RaceME Jr. It's about the cheapest tuning route I know of. No trans tuning but the engine tunes are quite good for box tunes.

Greg
    It’ll handle the delete programming?

8. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

It sure will, I ran one for over a year until I went to custom tuning from Double R Diesel.

Greg

Greg