Thanks Thanks:  37
Likes Likes:  188
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Truck Won't Start - Batteries/Alternator Are Good

1. Top Of Page | #61

User Info Menu

Re: Truck Won't Start - Batteries/Alternator Are Good

Quote Originally Posted by jgruberman View Post
    Also since one of the error messages had to do with tire size, I took my mm3 tuner and went into the change tire diameter menu and just tried to reprogram the tire size just for the heck of it.

I got this error message and after some googling I saw people talking about power and voltages not being correct and doing crazy things etc etc... I am wondering if all of this is caused by improper power handling by the batteries and I really need to go get that second battery replaced and that might fix all of the issues? Maybe these are all related to improper voltages and Power?https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...6877e50452.jpg

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
    https://www.igotacummins.com/threads...ibration-error

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

2. Thanks Corkey thanked for this post
    Likes Corkey, watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #62

User Info Menu

Should fix that issue... Hopefully

Good find Bob

How long did that take you to find LOL.

II 60HP STICKS, II 33% CP3, II S464 2ND GEN SWAP, FASS 165 TITANIUM SIGNATURE SERIES, AFE INTAKE HORN, S&B FILTER, 5" TURBO BACK, ALPHAREX HEAD LIGHTS, 38X13.5X20 RAZOR M/T, MOTO METAL RIMS, 6" LA LIFT KIT, COMPLET MM3 KIT, BUILT TRANSMISSION, 6 BOLT REDHEAD STEERING BOX

4. Likes AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #63

User Info Menu

There are also a lot of error codes pertaining to exhaust sensors and other things that are usually changed with a tune. Wondering if somehow my tune was lost/damaged in the ECM voltage issues?

6. Likes Corkey, AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #64

User Info Menu

Nope, the truck was in On, no ignition running...

8. Likes Corkey, AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #65

User Info Menu

I believe with a voltage drop, the tuner can sometimes not be recognized by the ecm

Don't quote me on that

Everything your trying seems to add on yet another code

what's your thoughts on that theory Bob

II 60HP STICKS, II 33% CP3, II S464 2ND GEN SWAP, FASS 165 TITANIUM SIGNATURE SERIES, AFE INTAKE HORN, S&B FILTER, 5" TURBO BACK, ALPHAREX HEAD LIGHTS, 38X13.5X20 RAZOR M/T, MOTO METAL RIMS, 6" LA LIFT KIT, COMPLET MM3 KIT, BUILT TRANSMISSION, 6 BOLT REDHEAD STEERING BOX

10. Likes AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #66

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Corkey View Post
    I believe with a voltage drop, the tuner can sometimes not be recognized by the ecm

Don't quote me on that

Everything your trying seems to add on yet another code

what's your thoughts on that theory Bob
    If I recall correctly when my batteries started to go out several years ago, I had a TON of CELs but don't recall fully

12. Likes Corkey, AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #67

User Info Menu

If I recall correctly when my batteries started to go out several years ago, I had a TON of CELs but don't recall fully

These RAM trucks don’t like low voltage, thats a fact. I would replace the other battery and charge them both up overnight. Then with the charger still connected reprogram your tunes, program the tire size and then clear all the codes.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

14. Likes Corkey, jgruberman, watersupply189 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #68

User Info Menu

BEFORE going thru all these motions of testing, scanning, spending money replacing this or that, just go ahead and replace BOTH batteries with new.
    It could possibly resolve 95% of the electrical issues and codes your seeing friend.
    Have whoever installs your new batteries to do a load test on each one to make sure they are good.
    I’ve purchased from interstate in the past and one of the “new” batteries had a damaged cell.

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, CC, 4x4

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab ,G56

16. Thanks AK Bob, Corkey thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, Corkey liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #69

User Info Menu

All issues have been resolved, here are the steps I performed this morning:
    • Went to Interstate and replaced the second battery. He acknowledged that it's "better" to replace both at the same time but because the second one was testing "Not Bad", he wasn't able to Warranty replace it but he did offer me 45% off as a prorated replacement cost.
    • Drove the truck home, approx 15 miles. At this time, there was no change in error lights or speedometer.
    • Went to reflash the truck with the DRD program but for some reason, the MM3 tuner said there was an SD card error and recommended I reformat it
    • Copied all files off the SD, formatted it FAT32 and copied all files back on
    • Programmed the DRD tune to the truck successfully this time, currently no error light change
    • Went into the MM3 tuner and programmed the tire size from the current setting of 35 to "35" again. As soon as this program completed, the ABS light went away.
    • Checked for DTCs with the MM3 tuner, none present - drove the truck around the block and the speedometer also worked.

I'm guessing the ECM somehow lost the program and the SD card maybe was corrupt and needed to be reformatted?

Also a side note, when I went back this morning the Interstate guy said that even though the first battery tested "OK", it definitely had an internal short because it was scalding hot for several hours after it got removed from the truck he said.

18. Thanks AK Bob, Corkey, watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, Corkey, watersupply189 liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #70

User Info Menu

All issues have been resolved, here are the steps I performed this morning:
    • Went to Interstate and replaced the second battery. He acknowledged that it's "better" to replace both at the same time but because the second one was testing "Not Bad", he wasn't able to Warranty replace it but he did offer me 45% off as a prorated replacement cost.
    • Drove the truck home, approx 15 miles. At this time, there was no change in error lights or speedometer.
    • Went to reflash the truck with the DRD program but for some reason, the MM3 tuner said there was an SD card error and recommended I reformat it
    • Copied all files off the SD, formatted it FAT32 and copied all files back on
    • Programmed the DRD tune to the truck successfully this time, currently no error light change
    • Went into the MM3 tuner and programmed the tire size from the current setting of 35 to "35" again. As soon as this program completed, the ABS light went away.
    • Checked for DTCs with the MM3 tuner, none present - drove the truck around the block and the speedometer also worked.

I'm guessing the ECM somehow lost the program and the SD card maybe was corrupt and needed to be reformatted?

Also a side note, when I went back this morning the Interstate guy said that even though the first battery tested "OK", it definitely had an internal short because it was scalding hot for several hours after it got removed from the truck he said.
    Well, good news very happy you have resolved the issues. Interesting case of what low battery voltage can do to these trucks. I think we all learned a little more information going through this process and will hopefully help someone else down the road.

20. Thanks jgruberman thanked for this post
    Likes jgruberman, Corkey, watersupply189 liked this post
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast