Thanks Thanks:  11
Likes Likes:  38
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Yes, 28+ unloaded isn't a dream!!!!

1. Top Of Page | #61
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Re: Yes, 28+ unloaded isn't a dream!!!!

Ya, you got me there. I guess “require” wasn’t the right word. At least you acknowledge that it’s your driving style and not some tune that’s getting you this mileage. We agree on that, and I concede that my choice of the word “require” was not proper. You are a patient man to drive 10-20mph slower than the speed limit to get good mileage, most people I know that are not paid by the hour, but drive for a living feel a requirement to drive closer to the limit. I guess that’s how I ended up using the word “require”.

2. Top Of Page | #62

User Info Menu

@wildcoyote. I've been following this thread because, hey, how doesn't want batter fuel milage??? But now I am really confused. Is it your new tuning strategy or you driving style that yields such great #s?

When I bought my truck new I was surprised at the poor fuel milage. I hit the forums and found that in stock form getting good milage was tough if you drove over 65 regularly. I took a few trips doing exactly what you described above. Yes, I got much better MPGs but it took the fun out of driving for me. Plus, I found focusing on my speed and rpms distracting. I deleted shortly after and now routinely get 20-22 highway MPG without even thinking about it.

I'm not trying to give you a hard time, or questioning your numbers. In fact, I applaud your efforts. But I am wondering... knowing that your driving style is outside the average.... What do you think the 'average guy' would gain? Assuming you were going to share (or sell) your tuning strategy of course.

Greg
    2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | Custom tuned by Double R Diesel
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

3. Likes PullinAir liked this post
  4. Top Of Page | #63

User Info Menu

Dup post

Greg

5. Top Of Page | #64

User Info Menu

Dup post

Greg

6. Top Of Page | #65

User Info Menu

Dup post

Greg

7. Top Of Page | #66

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Power247 View Post
    @wildcoyote. I've been following this thread because, hey, how doesn't want batter fuel milage??? But now I am really confused. Is it your new tuning strategy or you driving style that yields such great #s?

When I bought my truck new I was surprised at the poor fuel milage. I hit the forums and found that in stock form getting good milage was tough if you drove over 65 regularly. I took a few trips doing exactly what you described above. Yes, I got much better MPGs but it took the fun out of driving for me. Plus, I found focusing on my speed and rpms distracting. I deleted shortly after and now routinely get 20-22 highway MPG without even thinking about it.

I'm not trying to give you a hard time, or questioning your numbers. In fact, I applaud your efforts. But I am wondering... knowing that your driving style is outside the average.... What do you think the 'average guy' would gain? Assuming you were going to share (or sell) your tuning strategy of course.

Greg
    2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | Custom tuned by Double R Diesel
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310
    Sorry about not replying, I just got the notifications on tapatalk. I don't drive slower than the limit, I set cruise to 70 on the interstate and 55 on the regular roads, both of which those are the maximum limits. Nothing special, the datalog will show that. I perhaps use my brakes less and carry momentum and predict lights, but I'm not doing anything crazy. I Have things to do just like everybody else. Any time I mention driving slow, I did so because I know a few people who drive 85 on every road they are on an they do pay for it in mileage. If you say 20-22 driving slow everywhere, what about idle time and warm up? That's not horrible, but if you're babying it, something's up.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

8. Top Of Page | #67
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

If you idle a truck to warm it up, you waste a ton of fuel while not warming up anything but the engine. It’s more effective and efficient to start the truck up, and take off easy. Just look up hypermiling techniques, and you can get great mileage, but it takes a lot of self control, and you better give yourself extra time to get everywhere. It’s great if you are in a position to have the extra time to do those things, if you don’t, get a smaller car, or just accept that you’re going to burn more doll hairs.

9. Top Of Page | #68

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rhinopkc View Post
    If you idle a truck to warm it up, you waste a ton of fuel while not warming up anything but the engine. It’s more effective and efficient to start the truck up, and take off easy. Just look up hypermiling techniques, and you can get great mileage, but it takes a lot of self control, and you better give yourself extra time to get everywhere. It’s great if you are in a position to have the extra time to do those things, if you don’t, get a smaller car, or just accept that your going to burn more doll hairs.
    That's what I was referring to, no idle, no warm up. I am part of an ecomod site, but the only trick I do is to coast, the easiest and most simple way to still keep up with traffic and maintain my time.

I think 40-50 would be capable by many of the drivers on that site since they take things to the extreme, I like my heat and ac, I like my music and I like being able to drive through a field when needed and having the proper tools in an emergency.

What I'm aiming my goals at is the efficiency of the engine. If I can optimize to the absolute top 3% of it's range, I think that is where my gains are. Mind you, same driver, environment and techniques, I was at 18 completely stock and best of 20, so in tuning alone I have seen large gains.

10. Top Of Page | #69
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Unless you have baseline data, all of this data you are presenting now doesn’t really support your tuning claim. The data logs, flow scans, gps logs, and whatever else you publish should be accompanied by a baseline set of logs with the same parameters. If not, it just another unsupported claim that a product is producing a certain result. It’s like the magnets on the fuel lines, or the unicorn blood in the fuel tank. Remember Slick 50? I’m not saying you can’t tune for a little better mileage, but unless you have the baseline set of numbers to look at, it’s hard to buy a forty percent improvement from just a tune. I’m pretty sure you can get a job tuning for OEMs if you can boost their fuel efficiency by that much.

11. Top Of Page | #70

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rhinopkc View Post
    Unless you have baseline data, all of this data you are presenting now doesn’t really support your tuning claim. The data logs, flow scans, gps logs, and whatever else you publish should be accompanied by a baseline set of logs with the same parameters. If not, it just another unsupported claim that a product is producing a certain result. It’s like the magnets on the fuel lines, or the unicorn blood in the fuel tank. Remember Slick 50? I’m not saying you can’t tune for a little better mileage, but unless you have the baseline set of numbers to look at, it’s hard to buy a forty percent improvement from just a tune. I’m pretty sure you can get a job tuning for OEMs if you can boost their fuel efficiency by that much.
    I do have baselines. It's what motivated me in the first place. May I remind you, I worked as an engineer, I know the proper way to compare data.

12. Likes Noneck liked this post
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast