Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  25
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I have an alternator question

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

I have an alternator question

What is the Amp output of the 4th gen alternators?

Does anyone know if the 4th gen alternator is the same basic size as the 3rd gen?

I am thinking i need more Alternator power and the most economical way would be to throw a 4th gen rebuilt in.

I also need to check out the electrical connections

Thanks

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: I have an alternator question

Not sure what the standard one is but the winter prep package upgraded min to 180 amp according to the window sticker. No mention of what the standard one was though.

Greg
    2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | Custom tuned by Double R Diesel
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

180 is the standard 220 is typically the upgraded winter prep package. And then of course you have you dual alternator set up.

I don’t know if any local vendors do any thing but there is company’s that will build you an alternator for requested output.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Likes Power247 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
    180 is the standard 220 is typically the upgraded winter prep package. And then of course you have you dual alternator set up.

I don’t know if any local vendors do any thing but there is company’s that will build you an alternator for requested output.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I wonder if there is a difference between the early and late 4th gens or 2500 vs 3500?

Greg

Greg

6. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Power247 View Post
    I wonder if there is a difference between the early and late 4th gens or 2500 vs 3500?
    https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...b1f36fc968.jpg

Greg

Looks like the 180 was optional. MMMMM The next question is will it fit? And is there a difference in the electrical connections.

Would you be kind enough to take a picture or 2 of yours?

Thanks Greg

S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

8. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

@Polaraco. Any of these help?

Greg

Greg

9. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

@Power247

Thanks Greg.

I hav e to do some belt research, but that looks like it will fit OK. Right down to the plug. That's a 180 amp?

10. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    @Power247

Thanks Greg.

I hav e to do some belt research, but that looks like it will fit OK. Right down to the plug. That's a 180 amp?
    Cool! Yes, that is the 180 amp. Even double checked against by build sheet to be sure.

Greg

Greg

11. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Cool! Yes, that is the 180 amp. Even double checked against by build sheet to be sure.

Greg
    The 12 and my 03 use 2 different belts. But the 10 uses the same belt with a 160 amp. Can't be that much of s difference. Just trying to figure out the biggest I can fit without a hassle

12. Likes Power247 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

@Polaraco. Any of these help?https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...3d992f24dc.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...2bed1b8a17.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...1530db72a4.jpg

Greg
    Hey Greg. May I ask another favor? Can you measure from the top and bottom mounting hole to the center of the pulley hub for me? Also the distance between the 2 mounting holes, and the distance between them of the bracket, front to back.

With it getting cold out, I need to move pretty quick on this. The grid heater sucks the life out of the batts, and I have to charge the batts every night. With the electric fans and the air compressors, I think it's a good idea to upgrade. I can't look at Alex's truck because he has the dual setup. A dual alternator set up costs too much. I'd rather buy a used Nittso and throw that in. I can get them for $50 + shipping.

I just want to unbolt and bolt in if I can. Worse case change the belt.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast