Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  25
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I have an alternator question

1. Top Of Page | #21

User Info Menu

Re: I have an alternator question

Quote Originally Posted by AnOldBiker View Post
    Well it could be you never asked me. Or the fact I'm taking a break from taking care of the wife, she's recently home from a knee replacement and I'm working like a slave around here. Finally got a break for a while before supper and just finished laundry. And she's the foreman for now.

I believe you lived in your area for quite a while, so you should have a parts store that your known in. I would have asked them for both alternators and compared them. That could be a basis for a start. Then shop for the best deal on an alternator. As for the belt, put the new one on, measure and then drive down to buy one. It's amazing on how many sizes there are out there.

Thought this would have been a simple one for an .. old man like you ........

Quote Originally Posted by Power247 View Post
    Excellent!! Glad you got what you needed.

Greg
    2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | Custom tuned by Double R Diesel
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310
    Haha!!! Give him hell!!

Hope the wife recovers quickly

Greg
    Thanks for the help Greg. I spent a little more than I could have, but I got an original with 6K miles on it. As I mentioned, originals last longer than rebuilds. The truck will be gone before I need another and I'll charge my batteries faster. That extra 50 amps makes a difference. There will be no issues with the regulator either. The regulator doesn't care about the current. It just throttles the stator

Now to deal with the old geezer

In the old days I used to go and look myself off the shelves. I deal with Carquest now. My other guy closed up, retired. My Carquest, which was my alternate backup store, is now the primary and was independently owned. He sold out to Advance so it's now a chain store, but looks like a just a regular AP store.

One of the things I got taken away was the ability to arbitrarily order a part to look at it. They let me get away with it allot of times, but I don't push the issue. Information is so sketchy for some items. Had I been able to fine out it was a direct bolt in sooner, I wouldn't be burning out battery chargers. I was just bustin your butt as usual.

How is Momma doing with that? Thank you for taking care of her. It's our job. They do so much for us. . . .. I love my wife dearly and would walk through fire for her. Don't care who knows that either.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

2. Thanks Power247 thanked for this post
    Likes Power247 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #22
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

We just got back from thearpy and fed her, put the cold water treatment for swealing and she's sleeping. Thank you Lord. I'd walk through hell and back if it was for her benefit, will have known her 50 years middle of next year. Can't remember a time I didn't know her. But as normal, no matter what I do, I don't take care of the house work right.

Oh well !

But this is her start of thearpy, and the therapist is very good, so she comes out in that so call good pain ??? But she's doing better than they and the doctor thought she would have been. So all is well. I just do everything ... but as a husband, I ignore the comments and go about my business ..

That's why I was slow on responding ... busy as hell, but will be in and out as much as I can .... someone has to keep you centered ... you old coot .

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

4. Likes Power247 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #23

User Info Menu

We just got back from thearpy and fed her, put the cold water treatment for swealing and she's sleeping. Thank you Lord. I'd walk through hell and back if it was for her benefit, will have known her 50 years middle of next year. Can't remember a time I didn't know her. But as normal, no matter what I do, I don't take care of the house work right.

Oh well !

But this is her start of thearpy, and the therapist is very good, so she comes out in that so call good pain ??? But she's doing better than they and the doctor thought she would have been. So all is well. I just do everything ... but as a husband, I ignore the comments and go about my business ..

That's why I was slow on responding ... busy as hell, but will be in and out as much as I can .... someone has to keep you centered ... you old coot .
    PPPPPPPPPPPFFFFFFFFFFFFFFTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT to you too.

I went through a triple bypass with my wife. Not long after that she managed to catch herself on fire. Long story. I couldn't get her out with the rolling, so had to douse her with the shower. It was the coldest day of the year. In my ambulance days we used to refer to some patients as scoop and swoop. That's what I did in fear of her having a heart attack. Long to short, she had 3rd and 4th degree burns on her. After the hospital and plastic surgeons, I had to smear cream on her for a year. She was limited for months. I had to do it all. We have a handicapped son as well, he requires some attention too. Plus I was self employed. Talking about busy. . . . . . She is worth every minute. When I had my strokes, I required little, but I am sure I will have my day. I have a bunch of bodywork that has to be done. I guess a payback is coming. . . That's what it's all about. Keep up the good work. I'll keep a light on for ya.

You youngins have something to look forward too.

S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

6. Likes AnOldBiker, Power247 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #24
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

I guess when you get to our age ... the road rashes of life really show ?

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

8. Top Of Page | #25

User Info Menu

I guess when you get to our age ... the road rashes of life really show ?
    Yup Agreed

9. Thanks AnOldBiker thanked for this post
    Likes AnOldBiker liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #26

User Info Menu

The `180 Amp alternator upgrade went with very little problems. You have to modify the 2 wire plug to fit. I'm going to do a How to on this for you guys.

I immediately noticed the difference with the grid heater. The system came up a whole volt which is significant while the grid is working. I tested the batteries after a short run and saw they were higher in voltage than with the same test on the 136 alternator. Over all, especially if you do short runs, it's well worth doing.

Went from a 136 to a 180. That extra 45 amps made a big difference. An upgrade well worth while.

I opened the old alternator and found the brushes worn out. I could have just put brushes in it, but figured I needed more current output. I was right. I'm just going to rebuild the old one and put it on the shelf.

11. Likes Power247, 4kids2dogs&RV liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #27

User Info Menu

Excellent solution!! Glad it all worked out like you planned

Greg

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

13. Likes Polaraco liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #28

User Info Menu

Excellent solution!! Glad it all worked out like you planned

Greg
    And I thank you for your help

15. Thanks Power247 thanked for this post
    Likes Power247 liked this post
  16. Top Of Page | #29

User Info Menu

This is what I love about this family when someone needs help or answers were all there for each and everyone no matter what or where or why God Bless Family

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

17. Thanks Polaraco, Power247 thanked for this post
    Likes Polaraco, Power247 liked this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123