Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  5

Thread: DEF in fuel tank

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

DEF in fuel tank

Ok, so my neighbor has a stock 2014 Ram, wasn’t paying attention and put a gallon of DEF in his fuel tank. The truck ran for a minute then shut off. He didn’t even realize what had happened until the message for Water in fuel showed up on the EVIC. He had it towed home and we drained the diesel and dropped the fuel tank. We are replacing the fuel pump and both filters. My question is, with these water separators, what are the chances that DEF got to the injectors? Did it kill the engine when Water got to the separator and threw the code? Thank you in advance!

2012 Ram 2500, 4x4, 3.73, 3" level, 35" tires, 4" FloPro TBE, EGR valve/cooler/throttle delete, S&B CAI, GDP heater delete, GDP S2 air horn, RaceME Ultra Warp Tuning

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: DEF in fuel tank

Never seen it happened on a ram but know of 7 fords same exact scenario and 7 junk engines afterwards. Best of luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Thanks theaaronbush thanked for this post
    Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
    Never seen it happened on a ram but know of 7 fords same exact scenario and 7 junk engines afterwards. Best of luck

I’m thinking the same thing too!

2012 Ram 2500, 4x4, 3.73, 3" level, 35" tires, 4" FloPro TBE, EGR valve/cooler/throttle delete, S&B CAI, GDP heater delete, GDP S2 air horn, RaceME Ultra Warp Tuning

5. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Seems like every time I read stories like this it comes down to luck. Some have done as you have already done and gotten away with it, and some need a a whole new fuel system. All you can do is try it. If it's made it to the injectors, it is what is. Def is worse than water obviously and more corrosive. Draining and flushing everything is all you can do and hope you're one of the lucky ones.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

2015 Black Laramie CCSB 3500 SRW. Thuren Leveled With Fox 2.0 Shocks. Ride Rite Rear Air Bags With Wireless Airlift Onboard Air. 35" Toyos. All The Options Minus The Soot Cookers. RaceMe Ultra.

6. Thanks theaaronbush thanked for this post
  7. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

I agree with ya bud. I had someone come to me asking for help because they had filled up the tank full of gas. Said they had around 30 miles until empty so it was really low.

Drove 45 miles on that somehow before realizing what they did and asked for help dropping the tank and flushing it out.

So far no issues to date yet..... Little more rattle in the injectors now LOL.

Luck definitely has a lot to do with this. Keep your fingers crossed!

Quote Originally Posted by RATLIN'HP View Post
    Seems like every time I read stories like this it comes down to luck. Some have done as you have already done and gotten away with it, and some need a a whole new fuel system. All you can do is try it. If it's made it to the injectors, it is what is. Def is worse than water obviously and more corrosive. Draining and flushing everything is all you can do and hope you're one of the lucky ones.

Matthew 6:9-13, 2 Corinthians 5:20
    See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email us at:
    sales@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

8. Thanks theaaronbush thanked for this post
  9. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RATLIN'HP View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Dude's Diesel Performance View Post
    I agree with ya bud. I had someone come to me asking for help because they had filled up the tank full of gas. Said they had around 30 miles until empty so it was really low.

Drove 45 miles on that somehow before realizing what they did and asked for help dropping the tank and flushing it out.

So far no issues to date yet..... Little more rattle in the injectors now LOL.

Luck definitely has a lot to do with this. Keep your fingers crossed!
    Thank you guys...we are just gonna just gonna roll with it and see what happens!

10. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Good luck.you most likely get away with draining and flushing.

2006 dodge ram 2500 laramie crew cab 5.9 cummins. 10x20 et-24 fuel offroad with 275.60r20 tires. bully dog gt tuner. 48re ATS built tranny triple disc converter ATS oilpan and transgo quick shifter. 4" turbo back exhaust. brembo discs and pads

12. Likes walla2k5 liked this post