Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  6
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cooling system

1. Top Of Page | #11

User Info Menu

Re: Cooling system

If I have to I'll pull the thermostat housing and fill with coolant until it comes out of the engine. Then there's no chance of air anywhere in there

2. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 9mgcb81 View Post
    If I have to I'll pull the thermostat housing and fill with coolant until it comes out of the engine. Then there's no chance of air anywhere in there
    There should be a vertical tube by the alternator staring you right in the face. You remove the plug from the end of that and fill. No need to take the stat out. A secret trick. park the truck up hill when filling it up with coolant. the air should purge itself.

What did you do to cause this problem? When did it start? Unless you hacve been beating the crap out of the truck, chances are it's not the head.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

3. Likes AnOldBiker liked this post
  4. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    There should be a vertical tube by the alternator staring you right in the face. You remove the plug from the end of that and fill. No need to take the stat out. A secret trick. park the truck up hill when filling it up with coolant. the air should purge itself.

What did you do to cause this problem? When did it start? Unless you hacve been beating the crap out of the truck, chances are it's not the head.
    The plug was removed to fill after the flushing

Parked the front end on my homemade ramps this morning. So about 26"

I don't dog my truck at all. Most that it does is pull and heaviest is around 17k. That's why I really don't suspect a HG. There's minor HG symptoms but that's worst case. Had to be a big air bubble in there somewhere

5. Top Of Page | #14

User Info Menu

Put my old OEM cap back on until I get the new one tomorrow. I had one of the caps with the pressure relief tab. Not sure if it was bad or not but regular cap is back on

Pressure tested the system @ 16lbs and held for about 8 minutes. Figured with no bleed off or sign of leaks it was good so took it off

Going to back flush the heater core today a few times to see if there's blockage from the system flush that somehow didn't get out of the system. And is now causing interment heat issues

Will then be elevating the front end up slightly again to get any air to move out hopefully and if needed top off coolant

While I'm at it I have to replace the junk Dorman clockspring with a Mopar

6. Top Of Page | #15

User Info Menu

Just got home from going to check out some horses today. Didn't take the truck

Messed around with it when I got here. I'm at a loss right now
    Bled system, topped off
    Intermittent heat after my flush still
    Coolant pushing to overflow. Normal with heat expansion sure. Still bubbling in recovery tank

Letting it sit overnight to cool completely then check overflow and radiator levels

At this point with the cooling system I'm probably going to the dealership in the morning to try and get an answer hopefully. Possibly for the heat to

Blend door actuator is functioning. The heat is cranking out once at temperature. Then rapidly cools off. After a little time heat comes back again. Almost like there's no coolant flow to the heater core then it starts going again

7. Top Of Page | #16
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Just a thought and if considering this, use caution.

It appears you have an '09, and if you changed the fluid as recommended, there shouldn't be debris / pluggage if any and the core should be fine.

But if this is still considerred a possible issue:
    If there is a way to disconnect the in and out hose for the cab heater and put a garden hose on the inlet side. You could see if there is a pluggage in the heater core. I've done this on older trucks, but never on the newer ones. If this could be accomplished you can verify flow and eliminate this question.

But if you do this, don't use high pressure. Not knowing what's your water pressure is, it could cause more problems than it's worth if your pressure is quite high. Just crack the valve and see if there is a flow. Also it flushes out the debris if there is any.

Just a thought.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

8. Likes Sisupower liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #17

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AnOldBiker View Post
    Just a thought and if considering this, use caution.

It appears you have an '09, and if you changed the fluid as recommended, there shouldn't be debris / pluggage if any and the core should be fine.

But if this is still considerred a possible issue:
    If there is a way to disconnect the in and out hose for the cab heater and put a garden hose on the inlet side. You could see if there is a pluggage in the heater core. I've done this on older trucks, but never on the newer ones. If this could be accomplished you can verify flow and eliminate this question.

But if you do this, don't use high pressure. Not knowing what's your water pressure is, it could cause more problems than it's worth if your pressure is quite high. Just crack the valve and see if there is a flow. Also it flushes out the debris if there is any.

Just a thought.
    That's what I did Saturday and again today. Earlier when I started to flush the core there was nothing in it at all but not bad. Floorboards are dry
    At the moment I have heat again

If it stops or fluctuates again. I'm wondering if the IN tube from the engine to core is plugged/restricted or bad

10. Top Of Page | #18

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 9mgcb81 View Post
    That's what I did Saturday and again today. Earlier when I started to flush the core there was nothing in it at all but not bad. Floorboards are dry
    At the moment I have heat again

If it stops or fluctuates again. I'm wondering if the IN tube from the engine to core is plugged/restricted or bad
    Are the heater hoses good? They can collapse like brake hoses do inside. If they are spongy, scrap 'em. Geno's has them pretty reasonable. They were OK on my 03, but being 14 years old, I replaced them with the rad hoses this year. Just a PM for the next 10 years. *****if it doesn't rot out from under me first*****

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

11. Likes Power247 liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12