Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  4

Thread: Grid Heater Wire

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Grid Heater Wire

I know my 2011 2500 has a grid heater and not glow plugs. As the weather gets colder, I was looking for some info about plugging the truck in overnight. I'm running Ray's tunes and because of the increased power, I'm trying to be as safe as possible cuz she's my daily. I've heard you have to buy the wire separately. What should I be looking for? Where would I plug it in? Is it just a normal outlet? Any info that can be provided is appreciated!

Dylan

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Grid Heater Wire

Quote Originally Posted by 6.7_Beige_Beast View Post
    I know my 2011 2500 has a grid heater and not glow plugs. As the weather gets colder, I was looking for some info about plugging the truck in overnight. I'm running Ray's tunes and because of the increased power, I'm trying to be as safe as possible cuz she's my daily. I've heard you have to buy the wire separately. What should I be looking for? Where would I plug it in? Is it just a normal outlet? Any info that can be provided is appreciated!

Dylanhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...58a58d822b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
    One of our sponsors is Geno's garage. go here: https://www.genosgarage.com/product/...cement-parts-4

Remove the oil filter and you'll see a plug on the engine block behind it. Plug your cored there and turn the locking ring to secure it. Replace the filter. Yeah I know. Do I have too? Yes. They're a real pita. I just saw how bad they are. Rout your wire to the front, making sure there is no chafing and away from the belt. Wire tie is necessary.

This is not a grid heater. It heats the water in the block. On some days I've seen 60* in the morning.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

3. Thanks 6.7_Beige_Beast thanked for this post
  4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

I think you’re looking for a block heater cord that plugs into a 110 outlet. I don’t have one. On my 2010, it connects to the block heater just to the rear (I think) of the oil filter. Not sure if Ray sells them, or any other vendor on the forum, but they can be ordered at Geno’s Garage.

Hope this helps,

Bob

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5. Thanks 6.7_Beige_Beast thanked for this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

I have a timer hooked to the extension cord set to turn on 2 hours before I leave for work. I found 2 hours to be plenty even on our coldest nights here in NC.

Just remember that you should unplug or turn off the block heater before starting the truck. An air pocket can cause the heater to short out.

Greg
    2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | Custom tuned by Double R Diesel
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

7. Thanks 6.7_Beige_Beast thanked for this post
  8. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

This is what I have from Genos Garage. Mine is a 06 but looks the same. Very good quality and the ends are protected when you don’t have cord To house plugged in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

--Work gives you meaning and purpose, Life is empty without it--

9. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, Power247 liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

That's what I'm running to keeps the plug in place and covered up when not in use better then a cord dangling around when goin down the road

11. Likes Sisupower, Power247 liked this post