Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: Bed bolts??

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Bed bolts??

Alright guys, well I bought a parts truck to get the rust free parts off of it for my 2nd gen Cummins, the bed bolts from the parts truck were on super tight so I ground the head off... bad idea, I now have a painted bed ready to be put on my Cummins with no way to fasten it. Looking for ideas on what to do about this! Any help will be appreciated!

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Bed bolts??

Did you try heating them up and using a vise grips to turn them out. Lots of on blaster and let it soak and respray everyday for a week. Then try to turn it like your tighten them than back them out once there loose. Otherwise back to the old sucky way of drilling them out carefully

3. Likes Power247, david3gen liked this post
  4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Definitely not a bad idea for sure. Those babies look like they could use a good soaking.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaronk View Post
    Did you try heating them up and using a vise grips to turn them out. Lots of on blaster and let it soak and respray everyday for a week. Then try to turn it like your tighten them than back them out once there loose. Otherwise back to the old sucky way of drilling them out carefully

Matthew 6:9-13, 2 Corinthians 5:20
    See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email us at:
    sales@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

5. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

muriatic acid will eat the rust... or maybe some diesel and atf mix...

6. Top Of Page | #5
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

I'd try the light oil like ATF, or pentrating oil, or a mixture of both to soak as mention plus a few taps now and then to see if this helps the oil soak in. Takes time but has worked for me in the past.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

7. Likes david3gen liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Any updates?