Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  5
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil Smell Through Vents

1. Top Of Page | #1

Oil Smell Through Vents

Help. I have an oil smell coming through my vents. It seems to happen when the heat is on and sitting still, I've only noticed it since the weather has gotten a little cooler here. I have looked over the entire engine for oil leaks and have had it to the dealership yesterday, they didn't find any either. They said they could not find anything dealing with oil that could be fixed. They fixed a very small exhaust leak but that did not fix the problem. I was doubtful that the exhaust leak was the problem in the first place. I have recently cleaned/degreased under the hood, have inspected the cowl seal on the hood for leaks, and have changed the CCV. The smell coming through the vents is very similar to the smell of the CCV when I changed it. I'm currently running Amsoil 5w-40 oil with a little over 2,000 miles since the oil change. The truck is a 2015 2500 that has been deleted with Ray's tuning.

Has anyone had anything like this or know what I can look into next? I'm going to be calling the dealership soon but they were very confident that I was smelling exhaust not oil, and do not want to keep paying them if they aren't fixing the problem.

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Oil Smell Through Vents

Where does your CCV vent to? Mine had the same issue when I stopped venting into the turbo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Top Of Page | #3
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Are there any oil leaks new in the engine compartment ?
    Cracked or broken hoses or fittings ?

If this is new, and you recently worked on something, start there and expand as needed.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

4. Likes david3gen liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #4

Quote Originally Posted by Wisenheimer View Post
    Where does your CCV vent to? Mine had the same issue when I stopped venting into the turbo.

The CCV is still vented to the turbo. I haven't done anything with that.

6. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

I got nothing then.

7. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

I had this problem with a Ford 6.4 diesel.... The CCV was still connected to turbo inlet. What It was you're not gonna like..... It was excessive blowby. After the engine is good and hot, take off the engine oil fill cap and see how much smoke is chugging out.

The only thing in the oil field that's for sure, is nothing is for sure.......

2017 Ram Laramie Longhorn 2500, Lifted, deleted, MM3 tuned by Double R Diesel. RevMax Enhanced 68RFE

2017 Laramie Schlonghorn 2500, 4" coil spring, tubular radius arm Superlift, Sota REPR 20x10 -19 offset wheels, 35x13.50 Toyo Open Country R/T tires.. RaceME MM3 tuning by Double R Diesel, 5" Flo-Pro TBE no muffler, HPP EGR delete, GDP Mega-Flo Billet Throttle Valve Delete Airaid dry filter w/smooth inlet tube
    1974 Plymouth Roadrunner, 440ci R3 Siamese bore small block (700hp) Faceplated TKO 600 5 speed, Dana 60 with 4.56 gears
    1979 Lil Red Express (Currently doing a 12 valve Cummins swap)

8. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Just a thought... have you pulled your CCV filter to see what it looks like? When I changed mine according to the manual at 67.5K, it was dripping with oil.

2011 2500 Laramie CCSB 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, 68RFE

9. Likes david3gen liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #8

Quote Originally Posted by 74Beeper View Post
    I had this problem with a Ford 6.4 diesel.... The CCV was still connected to turbo inlet. What It was you're not gonna like..... It was excessive blowby. After the engine is good and hot, take off the engine oil fill cap and see how much smoke is chugging out.

2017 Ram Laramie Longhorn 2500, Lifted, deleted, MM3 tuned by Double R Diesel. RevMax Enhanced 68RFE
    I checked blowby and there was very little smoke. I'll try to post a video later. Should there be zero smoke? What should I look for?

11. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by breuker007 View Post
    I checked blowby and there was very little smoke. I'll try to post a video later. Should there be zero smoke? What should I look for?

In a perfect world yes, there should be no smoke, but there always is. If you have excessive blowby you'll know.
    Did you just notice this after you deleted it? If so, it's probably just the exhaust smoke getting sucked into the ventilation system. When emissions are in tact, it filters and scrubs the exhaust so much you don't smell it. After deleting, the exhaust is really rich smelling and if the wind is right, it will blow exhaust up around the vent inlet when you're stopped at idle. Try turning on the recirculation on your climate control. That will recirculate your cab air and not suck in outside air.

I had this smell problem with mine after deleting but I did the CCV deleted. I ended up just running a hose under the cab along the frame and that solved it.

2017 Laramie Schlonghorn 2500, 4" coil spring, tubular radius arm Superlift, Sota REPR 20x10 -19 offset wheels, 35x13.50 Toyo Open Country R/T tires.. RaceME MM3 tuning by Double R Diesel, 5" Flo-Pro TBE no muffler, HPP EGR delete, GDP Mega-Flo Billet Throttle Valve Delete Airaid dry filter w/smooth inlet tube
    1974 Plymouth Roadrunner, 440ci R3 Siamese bore small block (700hp) Faceplated TKO 600 5 speed, Dana 60 with 4.56 gears

12. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 4kids2dogs&RV View Post
    Just a thought... have you pulled your CCV filter to see what it looks like? When I changed mine according to the manual at 67.5K, it was dripping with oil.
    He said he changed the CCV filter and it still smells.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast