Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  5
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oil Smell Through Vents

1. Top Of Page | #11

Re: Oil Smell Through Vents

I deleted the truck 5 or 6 months ago and this is the first time noticing this smell.

Actually the smell began around the time switching to Amsoil. Could the different oil do it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by breuker007 View Post
    I deleted the truck 5 or 6 months ago and this is the first time noticing this smell.

Actually the smell began around the time switching to Amsoil. Could the different oil do it?

Possibly but I've never had issues with their products. 5-6 months ago, were you using your heater like now?

The only thing in the oil field that's for sure, is nothing is for sure.......

2017 Ram Laramie Longhorn 2500, Lifted, deleted, MM3 tuned by Double R Diesel. RevMax Enhanced 68RFE

2017 Laramie Schlonghorn 2500, 4" coil spring, tubular radius arm Superlift, Sota REPR 20x10 -19 offset wheels, 35x13.50 Toyo Open Country R/T tires.. RaceME MM3 tuning by Double R Diesel, 5" Flo-Pro TBE no muffler, HPP EGR delete, GDP Mega-Flo Billet Throttle Valve Delete Airaid dry filter w/smooth inlet tube
    1974 Plymouth Roadrunner, 440ci R3 Siamese bore small block (700hp) Faceplated TKO 600 5 speed, Dana 60 with 4.56 gears
    1979 Lil Red Express (Currently doing a 12 valve Cummins swap)

3. Top Of Page | #13

Quote Originally Posted by 74Beeper View Post
    He said he changed the CCV filter and it still smells.

2017 Ram Laramie Longhorn 2500, Lifted, deleted, MM3 tuned by Double R Diesel. RevMax Enhanced 68RFE
    The CCV filter was changed a few thousand miles ago.

4. Top Of Page | #14

Hard to say for sure but I would imagine I was because the weather was transitioning from colder to warmer.

Switching to recirculate does fix the problem but I still wouldn't find the source.

5. Top Of Page | #15

User Info Menu

Hard to say for sure but I would imagine I was because the weather was transitioning from colder to warmer.

Switching to recirculate does fix the problem but I still wouldn't find the source.

I'd take off your CCV hose and put a 3/4" hose on it and run the hose under your cab then plug the port in your turbo inlet. Just to see if that's it. Once you confirm it is or isn't you can either hook it back up or gut the CCV filter and keep the hose running under the cab. You really don't want your engine sucking in that hot, toxic, non-oxygenated air anyways.

2017 Laramie Schlonghorn 2500, 4" coil spring, tubular radius arm Superlift, Sota REPR 20x10 -19 offset wheels, 35x13.50 Toyo Open Country R/T tires.. RaceME MM3 tuning by Double R Diesel, 5" Flo-Pro TBE no muffler, HPP EGR delete, GDP Mega-Flo Billet Throttle Valve Delete Airaid dry filter w/smooth inlet tube
    1974 Plymouth Roadrunner, 440ci R3 Siamese bore small block (700hp) Faceplated TKO 600 5 speed, Dana 60 with 4.56 gears
    1979 Lil Red Express (Currently doing a 12 valve Cummins swap)

6. Thanks breuker007 thanked for this post
  7. Top Of Page | #16

Quote Originally Posted by 74Beeper View Post
    I'd take off your CCV hose and put a 3/4" hose on it and run the hose under your cab then plug the port in your turbo inlet. Just to see if that's it. Once you confirm it is or isn't you can either hook it back up or gut the CCV filter and keep the hose running under the cab. You really don't want your engine sucking in that hot, toxic, non-oxygenated air anyways.

I may have to try that. Thanks for the suggestions.

8. Top Of Page | #17

User Info Menu

Hi I was reading your post/discussion on this and I was just curious if you solved the problem and how you did it.

I recently performed the EGR valve and EGR cooler service on my 2014 Mega Cab with 127K Miles. I also replaced the Crank Case Filter.

I drove for 3 days, and I could barely smell the exhaust. I thought nothing of it. However on the 4th day I towed my camper 80 miles. No problems or issues. Then drove back 80 miles without the camper.

Well, the next day, just driving to work with the heater on, the smell was SO STRONG. My next step is to try to take things "apart" and wiggle them in a better place. I had some trouble putting on the four 8 mm bolts that hold the plastic cover over the engine (the one where the engine dip stick runs through), which makes me think I may have a leak somewhere as I put things back together. The parts may have twisted a little funny making them not fit as snug as before.

So, I guess what is your update on your issue and what do you think of mine?

Thanks
    Alex

9. Top Of Page | #18

User Info Menu

Help. I have an oil smell coming through my vents. It seems to happen when the heat is on and sitting still, I've only noticed it since the weather has gotten a little cooler here. I have looked over the entire engine for oil leaks and have had it to the dealership yesterday, they didn't find any either. They said they could not find anything dealing with oil that could be fixed. They fixed a very small exhaust leak but that did not fix the problem. I was doubtful that the exhaust leak was the problem in the first place. I have recently cleaned/degreased under the hood, have inspected the cowl seal on the hood for leaks, and have changed the CCV. The smell coming through the vents is very similar to the smell of the CCV when I changed it. I'm currently running Amsoil 5w-40 oil with a little over 2,000 miles since the oil change. The truck is a 2015 2500 that has been deleted with Ray's tuning.

Has anyone had anything like this or know what I can look into next? I'm going to be calling the dealership soon but they were very confident that I was smelling exhaust not oil, and do not want to keep paying them if they aren't fixing the problem.
    did you ever figure out the smell?

2014 2500 on Fuel rims, custom aluminum grill emblem, mm3 DRD tuned, 4” jamo tbe exhaust, led fog lights, steering box brace, took Vinyl off doors.

10. Likes AK Bob liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #19

I never really found the source for sure, but I think it may have been oil that spilled from changing the oil filter.

I didn't think I spilled much and washed the area several times, but that didn't seem to help.

It eventually went away.

Sorry, that isn't much help.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

12. Likes AK Bob, Abgunnar liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12