Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  12
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Blow-by

1. Top Of Page | #11

User Info Menu

Re: Blow-by

Quote Originally Posted by dmuney View Post
    It’s titled New to this site and to Cummins and also. What caused this cylinder wall damage go read up And may as well read Its rebuild time a few lessons to learn. Oh and the cause of piston failure and the blowby is a messed up fuel injector that’s what caused all of it trust me
    I'm new to this site and to Cummins - https://www.igotacummins.com/showthread.php?t=5250

It's rebuild time - https://www.igotacummins.com/showthread.php?t=7157

Greg
    2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | Custom tuned by Double R Diesel
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

2. Thanks dmuney, 4kids2dogs&RV thanked for this post
    Likes dmuney, 4kids2dogs&RV liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

If I have a bad piston ring would it be using oil and have blue exhaust?

4. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

Changed the turbo today and it has significantly reduced the amount of blow by that I had.

5. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, Power247 liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #14

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Aaronk View Post
    Changed the turbo today and it has significantly reduced the amount of blow by that I had.
    That doesn't make any sense

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

7. Top Of Page | #15

User Info Menu

The seal was out and allowing it to push air into the oil pan. It was so bad that if I loosened the oil cap and tried to just leave it sit there it would blow it off and I'd have to catch it. Now if I do that it just dances around.

8. Top Of Page | #16

User Info Menu

The seal was out and allowing it to push air into the oil pan. It was so bad that if I loosened the oil cap and tried to just leave it sit there it would blow it off and I'd have to catch it. Now if I do that it just dances around.
    It's still strange. The oil pressure is higher than the average boost. The oil should have been pushing into the turbo. I guess ithappens. Maybe a check on your oil pressure is in order?

Maybe you should be using a turbo timer. You have to let these cool down a bit before shut down. It allows the turbo to slow down, and reduces the temp so it doesn't carbonize the oil in the bushings. It also prevents the turbo from spooling down without lubrication. Or just set there for 30 seconds before you shut down

I found a timer on eGay that was pretty reasonable and easy to install. Far less than the BD or one of those. 1 minute is usually more than enough. They cool down pretty quick

S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

9. Top Of Page | #17

User Info Menu

I always let it cool down even after driving somewhat normal. If I'm pulling a trailer I will let it idle while putting fuel in to cool down before I shut it off, if I'm going to disconnect the trailer I will let it idle till the trailer is disconnected then move the truck before I shut it off. I believe it was the original turbo as the truck has almost 320000 miles on it. I bought it used with 202000 miles on it.

10. Top Of Page | #18

User Info Menu

Then you been a good boy. LOL Making it last that long means you know your chit. LOL

Good Job. The turbo timer is sure a step/fuel saver. You can turn it off, leave the truck and forget about it.

11. Likes AnOldBiker, Power247 liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #19

User Info Menu

Thank you for the compliment. I'm hard on my truck to a point but I don't usually go past half throttle cause that's enough to beat quite a few of the cars and trucks here. But I've been around diesel trucks and semis since the late 90's. Been working on diesels since I bought my first one in 09 and working on semis since 2012. I still respect others opinions on stuff and do research before I do something to try and fix a vehicle. I hope I can continue to learn stuff on this site and also contribute if I can.

13. Thanks Polaraco thanked for this post
    Likes Power247, Polaraco liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #20

User Info Menu

If I have a bad piston ring would it be using oil and have blue exhaust?
    Not nesasarily if the bad ring was caused by bad injector yes the motor would consume some oil but it would be replaced with diesel so it would still appear to be full of oil and as far as smoke out the tail pipe with a broken ring/ rings you would be supprized how little smoke there was If your oil cap is bouncing off from where I come from that's not good With the rings all shattered and broken that cylinder still had over 350 psi compression enough to completely burn any oil and therefore not smoke out the tail pipe but it would smoke out the draft tube. If your problem is different then mine great if not sorry to hear

Last edited by dmuney; 08-26-2018 at 04:29 AM. Reason: Finished my response

15. Likes david3gen, walla2k5 liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast