Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: tuning: will it change the exhaust sound?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

tuning: will it change the exhaust sound?

I have a dumb question.
    recently totaled my 2011 ram 3500 5" aluminum coat TBE no muffler, S&B cold air intake, EGR delete, ARP studs, 4;10, Torque industries tuner, gears etc.
    So I purchased a 2012 ram 3500 DRW. New 5" stainless TBE no muffler, S&B cold air intake, EGR delete, double R diesel MM3.

My 2011 sounded louder and deeper, basically meaner. Is this because of the tune?, different year engine? I am a little baffled,
    I love the Tune just wondering if that would actually make a difference in the tone of the exhaust???

To everyone, Thank You in Advance!!

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: tuning: will it change the exhaust sound?

Stainless exhaust sounds different than aluminized on gas V8s. I'd imagine it would hold true on diesel too. Stainless has a raspier sound. Also, I think any exhaust will change sound after it is seasoned. My 2016 sounds a little deeper after 8,000 miles on new exhaust. (May be in my head)
    The tune could cause a different exhaust note too.

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Agreed as longer the exhaust is on truck the more miles it will sound change differently after a while

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

6. Thanks 3500 mega dually thanked for this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

He's not running a muffler. Sound is what it is. Mine is pretty loud with 5 inch and no muffler OUTSIDE of the truck with tip in stock location. Don't know if the tuner will make it any louder but towing sure does. (Im running Raceme with Rays' 120hp tune or 60hp when towing heavier)

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

2013 Laramie 2500 CC. Warp tuning on RaceMe. 2 inch level w/35s.

8. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Any sound difference between aluminum, SS or even titanium is extremely tiny. To the ear almost impossible to hear. Unless you're telling yourself there's something there

Aluminum lighter. Unless you're somewhere with heavy snows year round works just fine. Better product than 20 years ago
    SS lasts longer and stays cooler. Longer to cool off
    Titanium way to expensive to use on big trucks

9. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 9mgcb81 View Post
    Any sound difference between aluminum, SS or even titanium is extremely tiny. To the ear almost impossible to hear. Unless you're telling yourself there's something there

Aluminum lighter. Unless you're somewhere with heavy snows year round works just fine. Better product than 20 years ago
    SS lasts longer and stays cooler. Longer to cool off
    Titanium way to expensive to use on big trucks
    Aluminum is one hack of allot easier to cut too. I remember going through 2 carbide sawzall blades cutting a banks stainless. And I still had to knaw through the last inch

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

10. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    Aluminum is one hack of allot easier to cut too. I remember going through 2 carbide sawzall blades cutting a banks stainless. And I still had to knaw through the last inch
    All comes down to what guage the metal is definitely. Most places use a standard ga aluminum which is thick enough but not as thick as the stainless. You can get thicker buying the pipe sections from a distributor and having it bent. That's what I did on mine
    Just removed my turbine muffler a couple weeks ago not for sound but to test a couple things

Got a 6ft 12ga aluminum section for $32

Most if I remember right sell systems with 14 or 16ga

11. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 9mgcb81 View Post
    All comes down to what guage the metal is definitely. Most places use a standard ga aluminum which is thick enough but not as thick as the stainless. You can get thicker buying the pipe sections from a distributor and having it bent. That's what I did on mine
    Just removed my turbine muffler a couple weeks ago not for sound but to test a couple things

Got a 6ft 12ga aluminum section for $32

Most if I remember right sell systems with 14 or 16ga
    That thicker wall will probably reduce the harmonics too

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC