Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  12

Thread: Electrical issue I think?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Electrical issue I think?

Good day to all: I've been a lurker here for a while and just recently had a problem surface.

My "06" Dodge Cummins 3500 4x4 has the following: 5-inch exhaust, bully dog tuner, snow performance water/meth injector, power play mp-8 injector tuner, ATS arc flow intake.

Recently I'm running into an issue at random, Insert ignition key revolve to start and nothing, I live on a property with a downgrade holding in the clutch for a rolling start she pops right over.

Forgot to say this a standard 6-speed transmission, After she ignites most times it is trouble-free getting it to start from revolving the ignition switch. This condition can happen randomly thru the day and is a crap shoot as to reliability. I have a very good Mechanic that has gone over the basics, batteries have been replaced, starter contacts upgraded all grounds checked/cleaned. He doesn't believe in throwing parts at it in an effort to resolve this issue, I've taken it to him when it acts up several times in a day only to have him sit there and start it 20 times in a row randomly spacing start times trying to isolate it. I realize this may be a bit of a long post, Just trying to fill in the blanks as much as possible.

Thanks to all for any help in figuring this out. Greg D.

2. Likes david3gen liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Re: Electrical issue I think?

to the forum @Greg D

This could be 100 things that is a miss. It could be the key tumbler in the streering column, the wiring going down the column ... I could go on and on. It sounds like its one of those issues that comes after doing work on something. Have you replaced, upgraded or repaired something recently ? It cold be wiring, mechanical rubbing the wires ......

My friend has an '05 and he had to change the battery on his key and it stopped his problem. I don't see how that was the probem, but just a thought.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

4. Likes walla2k5, david3gen liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Welcome to the family

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Anoldbiker Was correct, Changing the battery in the key solved the problem, Anti theft/lock was unable to communicate with the truck's computer. Thanks Guys!!!!!

7. Thanks AnOldBiker thanked for this post
    Likes Power247, walla2k5, AnOldBiker, david3gen liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AnOldBiker View Post
    to the forum @Greg D

This could be 100 things that is a miss. It could be the key tumbler in the streering column, the wiring going down the column ... I could go on and on. It sounds like its one of those issues that comes after doing work on something. Have you replaced, upgraded or repaired something recently ? It cold be wiring, mechanical rubbing the wires ......

My friend has an '05 and he had to change the battery on his key and it stopped his problem. I don't see how that was the probem, but just a thought.
    You beat me to the punch Pops. Thanks. Sometimes the most unobvious is the problem. That interlock system started in 04.5. Thank goodness that's another thing I don't need to worry about.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

9. Likes AnOldBiker, david3gen liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Welcome!!

Greg
    2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | Custom tuned by Double R Diesel
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

11. Top Of Page | #7
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greg D View Post
    Anoldbiker Was correct, Changing the battery in the key solved the problem, Anti theft/lock was unable to communicate with the truck's computer. Thanks Guys!!!!!

I guess not a bad guess from and aging old coot

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

12. Likes Polaraco, david3gen liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Welcome @Greg D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2006 dodge ram 2500 laramie crew cab 5.9 cummins. 10x20 et-24 fuel offroad with 275.60r20 tires. bully dog gt tuner. 48re ATS built tranny triple disc converter ATS oilpan and transgo quick shifter. 4" turbo back exhaust. brembo discs and pads

14. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS liked this post