2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, walla2k5 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

Re: Fuel System Problems

Quote Originally Posted by JSPulliam21 View Post
    Fuel filter was changed at the end of August

2012 Ram 3500 crew cab 4x4 auto deleted Mini Maxx studded on 35's
    The only other thing I can think of is that valve on the MP3. The name of it escapes me. My memory is shot

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

4. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    The only other thing I can think of is that valve on the MP3. The name of it escapes me. My memory is shot
    The cascade overflow valve?

As an update we added a fuel pressure gauge for lift pump pressure. It was 6 psi at idle and 0 psi in gear . Sounds like a contributor for sure, but could this be 100% root cause? I don't think the overflow valve has much to return at this point. LOL.

5. Top Of Page | #14

User Info Menu

Yes sir. Fuel filter was the first thing I replaced when the issues started occurring. Yesterday I put a fuel gauge between the filter and CP3. I had a total of 6psi at idle and 0psi in gear. I'm imagining my CP3 has been pulling more fuel than it should for a while and it may be weakened now? I am replacing the lift pump today with a FASS Part #FA D07 095G. We will see where this gets me. Please let me know what yall think.

6. Top Of Page | #15

User Info Menu

you have 2 accounts?

Unless the valve is opening prematurely or incorrectly.

At this point I dunno. I'd have to see it. It's definitely a delivery problem. I'm not sure about that pump performance though. 6 PSI is low as I recall. I'll look it up

S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

7. Top Of Page | #16

User Info Menu

Could the fuel rail relief valve be shot and sticking. My 2012 valve went bad, only to be replaced with a brand new faulty one that still leaked fuel by. I said screw it, and installed a rail plug. I'm no mechanic, just throwing this out there.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

2012 CCSB Saddle Brown Pearl... DRD tuned

8. Top Of Page | #17

User Info Menu

"you have 2 accounts?

Unless the valve is opening prematurely or incorrectly.

At this point I dunno. I'd have to see it. It's definitely a delivery problem. I'm not sure about that pump performance though. 6 PSI is low as I recall. I'll look it up"

No sir I have one account, the JSPulliam21 is my brother and he is helping me. Yesterday the wait to start light came on and chimed 10 times again. But this time it threw another code along with the P1223 code. The new code is P1740. I just had my transmission rebuilt and new torque converter installed in August 2017 so maybe its just a fluke but none the less I wanted to post. Had to order the lift pump and it should arrive today.

I'm assuming that you are talking about the pressure release valve on the rail correct? I checked the valve three days ago by taking the banjo bolt off, put a bag over the valve, had someone else raise the RPM's to 3,500 then let off the pedal so pressure would spike and no fuel came out. So this means the valve is ok right?

My question's today are 1: Does the injection pump pull some fuel? 2: If the lift pump stopped pumping would it stall the truck? Or does the injection pump pull just enough to keep the truck running?

9. Top Of Page | #18

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pulliamh5 View Post

No sir I have one account, the JSPulliam21 is my brother and he is helping me. Yesterday the wait to start light came on and chimed 10 times again. But this time it threw another code along with the P1223 code. The new code is P1740. I just had my transmission rebuilt and new torque converter installed in August 2017 so maybe its just a fluke but none the less I wanted to post. Had to order the lift pump and it should arrive today.

I'm assuming that you are talking about the pressure release valve on the rail correct? I checked the valve three days ago by taking the banjo bolt off, put a bag over the valve, had someone else raise the RPM's to 3,500 then let off the pedal so pressure would spike and no fuel came out. So this means the valve is ok right?

My question's today are 1: Does the injection pump pull some fuel? 2: If the lift pump stopped pumping would it stall the truck? Or does the injection pump pull just enough to keep the truck running?
    In some cases the lift pump will pull some fuel. My assumption is if the lift pump fails while it's running, it will continue to lift fuel. I would suspect a considerable drop in volume. It may or may not be able to redraw fuel after shutdown. The CP3 could use it's prime.

No the valve on the CP3 could be erratic.

10. Top Of Page | #19

User Info Menu

So I believe I have found the problem. I dropped the fuel tank on Friday 9/29/17 and found some parts to the factory pump floating around. They were a spring and a couple of plastic parts along with some little black asphalt looking pieces all along the bottom of the tank which I believe is bad fuel. The factory pump has a filter on the bottom which was caked with black debris. So after cleaning the tank and parts that had to go back in I installed a FASS 95 GPH external pump kit, ordered from Geno's Garage (Part #FA D07 095G). So far I have put over 60 miles on the truck, highway and around town driving but mostly highway which is where it would fault mostly. Fuel pressure is stable and the truck is running great. Tried many times to make the truck fault but it will not and no codes have been thrown, I can usually make it drop in rail pressure and throw codes by matting the accelerator on the highway but with the new fuel pump rail pressure is good and no loss of power. Hopefully the bad lift pump had not damaged the injection pump. So I hope this post helps anyone with similar problems in diagnosing their fuel issues. Thank you to everyone who posted, you educated and helped me diagnose my fuel problems.

11. Likes Power247 liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #20

User Info Menu

With all that crap in your tank I would grab a couple of spare pre filters and keep them in the glove box. If they stop up you will be dead in the water too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12