Thanks Thanks:  32
Likes Likes:  59
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hard Wiring AMP Running Board System?

1. Top Of Page | #21

User Info Menu

Hard Wiring AMP Running Board System?

Quote Originally Posted by BrentM View Post
    What year is your truck? I am having problems with my steps and the splitter. I have unplugged the MM3 and have the steps in the plug right now and seems to work fine. Did the wire colors all match up to the instructions? Has anyone done this on a 2017?

I need to do something, not sure that I want to buy another splitter if there is a viable hardwire option.
    Hey man I see no one has replied to you, but I’d highly recommend switching to the hardwire setup. When I did a RT flash with the splitter, something caused my radio to mess up really bad. But since I’ve switched there are no more issues.

2. Likes Power247 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #22

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MM3 Power View Post
    We do not recommend using any spiltter, or pass through style connections.

Other devices being plugged into the OBD2 port is not a good idea.

They are only talking to the BCM(body control module) but they are sharing the can-bus with us, and they are hyper sensitive!

Having said that; If you must... Make sure that you are connected directly to the trucks OBD2 port for the download/flash process.

Also, for what it's worth, it seems like we have had less problems with the AMP research brand pass through harness than the cheaper brands that are found on Amazon, etc...
    Good info from MM3 Power

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

4. Top Of Page | #23

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Double R Diesel View Post
    Guys be careful using a splitter with the MM3. You might can get away with it sometimes, but things can happen. If you are bound and determined to do it, please never program the ecm with the ecm file (aka flashing the ecm) thru a splitter. Doing the RT thing via a spitter may work sometimes, but we had a guy almost brick his ecm by trying to flash the ecm thru a spitter with his MM3.

Gonna tag @MM3 Power on this so you guys not only here it from me.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
    Once again Ray from DRD has the answers

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

5. Likes david3gen liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #24

User Info Menu

I got my diodes yesterday so I am hoping to get to it this weekend, I will post pics if it works

Brent
    2017 Ram 2500 Limited / 6.7 / 68RFE / BDS 8" Lift / 38 x 13.5 Trail Grapplers / 20 x 10 Hostile Wheels
    2020 Ram 2500 Tradesman / 6.7 / 68RFE
    1993 W250 LE / 5.9 12V / G360 - 5 Speed

7. Likes Power247 liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #25

User Info Menu

So.... I wired this per the directions in the 2015 installation guide, and I have nothing. Getting to the plugs on whatever box they are plugged into is a pain in the a$$. I ended up removing the drivers seat as I thought it would be easier to lay down and access the wiring. The instructions for the "component" removal are wrong. If you have the Alpine audio system, I think it is the amplifier that blocks access to the harness / plugs and the amp does not come apart from the bracket, the bracket and amp come out as a unit, removing the amp from the bracket per the instructions is impossible. All the wiring colors matched and as the instructions state there "may" be two violet/grey wires on the blue plug. On mine there are 2 violet / grey wires. I taped into one of them, picked the most difficult wire to get to and took my 50/50 chance that it was the right one. Got all the wiring done, spliced 4 wires with diodes and connected the drivers side wires together and the passenger side wires together then connected them to the AMP wires (2 each) and nothing.

The OBD plug has a circuit board inside (see pic below) so maybe this was never designed to be hard wired. @beans20 you mention a new controller is needed, maybe that is why mine does not work. Did they replace the box under the hood? I am sending an email to AMP Research next.

Brent
    2017 Ram 2500 Limited / 6.7 / 68RFE / BDS 8" Lift / 38 x 13.5 Trail Grapplers / 20 x 10 Hostile Wheels

9. Top Of Page | #26

User Info Menu

I converted my Amp boards from the OBD plug to hard wire on my 2014. Cost me about $5 in diodes, wire, connectors,and solder. Didn’t have to buy anything from Amp.

If you are a 13 or later the wires are under the dash and not at the fuse box. Fat hands do make getting at the wires under the dash a pain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

10. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #27

User Info Menu

That is what I thought and at the worse I thought the rear drives door may not work if I choose the wrong violet / grey wire. The diodes allow the signal to flow to the controller and prevent it from back feeding to the truck. I wired the two drivers side wires together and the passenger side wires together (after the diodes) and connected them to the two wires to the controller.

Here is my wiring diagram....

I sent this to AMP Research also for their review, but does anyone see anything wrong here?

Brent

12. Top Of Page | #28

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BrentM View Post
    That is what I thought and at the worse I thought the rear drives door may not work if I choose the wrong violet / grey wire. The diodes allow the signal to flow to the controller and prevent it from back feeding to the truck. I wired the two drivers side wires together and the passenger side wires together (after the diodes) and connected them to the two wires to the controller.

Here is my wiring diagram....

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/a...%20diagram.jpg

I sent this to AMP Research also for their review, but does anyone see anything wrong here?

That is exactly what I did. Should be two purple wires off the Amp module. One for drivers side and the other for passenger side. I used some jumpers to make sure I had the correct wires before splicing.

Also make sure you put the diodes in the correct way. I might have had to redo one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

13. Thanks BrentM thanked for this post
    Likes Power247 liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #29

User Info Menu

@BrentM the controller under the hood is designed specifically for the Plug-N-Play setup, so they sent me the one correct for the hardwire setup. Mine works perfectly now! I’m not good with diodes and what not so I just bought the harness, and they warranties the controller under the hood.

15. Thanks BrentM thanked for this post
  16. Top Of Page | #30

User Info Menu

Thanks @beans20 and @Wisenheimer that is what I was afraid of, I reconnected the OBD plug to the controller and still nothing. Hope I have not fried the controller. I will wait until tomorrow to see if Chris at AMP gets back to me.

Brent

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast