Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Firepump 5.9 with Lucas CAV and missing, hesitation & jumping about

1. Top Of Page | #1
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Firepump 5.9 with Lucas CAV and missing, hesitation & jumping about

Alright, I had this post which JUST VANISHED after two or three helpful souls had chimed in on it. Here goes edition #2.

It was about 5.9's with a Lucas CAV pump that use static timing on the pump gear at the letter G for the firepump application as opposed to the letter D on all other applications.

With the letter G static timing is actually retarded about 5 degrees for easy starting after which the dynamic timing advances 5-6 degrees on top to arrive at an algebraic sum of maybe 0. All other applications of this engine using the same pump are timed to the letter D which is about 0 retard/advance and with the same above cited dynamic advance end up running with about 5-6 degrees of advance.

My problem is that the G timing results in rough idle and an NO acceleration above 7-800 rpm. If I swing the timing over to letter D then I can spool up to about 1900 rpm at which time the same condition is caught up with, no acceleration above 1900 without a LOT of missing and violence. This engine red-lines at 2500 and shuts down at 2700 which I take to mean that I should get those speeds without any cause for alarm.

my test-run videos can be seen @

http://trixtar.org/3/tinkerings/12valve208hp/index.html

I made a _possibly_ interesting discovery today while poking around in the pump. It may be that I caused the condition myself during disassembly or it may be that it had been as I saw it when I did. I'll know tomorrow when I run it again. Anyay, I did put it back together the right way.

The inlet from the filter 'end' assembly has a little check piston at the bottom, the spring underneath that was lying on its side because it was designed by Murphy. So at this point I wonder what the result of such a fubar could be theoretically at least. There wa s also some small paint chips in that mesh filter, everything got cleaned up real nice.

2. Top Of Page | #2
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Re: Firepump 5.9 with Lucas CAV and missing, hesitation & jumping about

Quote Originally Posted by fitterski View Post
    With the letter G static timing is actually retarded about 5 degrees for easy starting after which the dynamic timing advances 5-6 degrees on top to arrive at an algebraic sum of maybe 0. All other applications of this engine using the same pump are timed to the letter D which is about 0 retard/advance and with the same above cited dynamic advance end up running with about 5-6 degrees of advance.
    I've been corrected, the base general timing on letter-G is 5 degrees of ADVANCE, the others are changed accordingly.

3. Top Of Page | #3
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Not home yet but much improved, see test run #7

4. Likes Power247 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #4
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Today, opened the pump for real

http://trixtar.org/3/tinkerings/12va...ng-weights.mp4
    1 - 2 of 6 flyweights are missing (unless 4 in 6 slots is normal)

http://trixtar.org/3/tinkerings/12va...-race-worn.jpg
    2 - Cam-ring race heavy signs of wear

http://trixtar.org/3/tinkerings/12va...lever-tool.jpg
    3- Cannot change it cause cannot remove this lever

All this in addition to the very large valve lash found makes me think someone's been in there before

6. Top Of Page | #5
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Lever removed, 4 weights is OK, signs of wear are ALL acceptable. Also found one of the two-pair pump rollers "NOT free" so unless the transit pump pressure was able to open them half the pump simply wasn't there! Methinks I gotta buy a core-kit instead of trying to polish things under a microscope (very small pieces).