Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  6

Thread: Filling tank issue

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Filling tank issue

Anybody else have trouble filling the tank with any sort of speed? Doesn't matter the style pump, the fuel will shut off because the truck won't accept the amount of fuel at once. I can only do about half squeeze on the trigger or it will shut off. I have tried pushing the handle as far in as possible, Turning the handle clockwise and counter clockwise with no luck. Any help is greatly appreciated as this very annoying

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Filling tank issue

No sir sadly i have not found a way around it.... I had the same issue. Finally found a sweet spot with it cocked sideways and upwards a little bit will holding it, but it took too much effort so i just deal with it being half throttle.

Others might have found a good mod for it. Looking forward to hearing what everyone elses opinion is as well!

Matthew 6:9-13, 2 Corinthians 5:20
    See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email us at:
    sales@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

The only time I've had problems is in the truck lanes at truck stops when pulling my 5er with the larger nozzles and faster pumps. I didn't have this problem with my 04 so the first time I did this with my 12, it splashed back towards me and down the side of the truck.

4. Top Of Page | #4
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

The problems I have found is either with the pumps pressure setting is to high or the orfice they installed in the pump is to large. Years ago they pumped slower and the orfice size was different than now.

But in time they wanted to get the customer in, fill their tanks as fas as they could, get your money and get you out. Profit above all else. Faster you get the customer in/out, the more customers you can sell to per hour.

But by doing this, in both gas and diesel, you get higher back pressure on gas and it trips, or it foams the diesel and it kicks off and spits out. The customer looses either way. I've filled my gasser in some stations and with the pressure and orfice size, I felt lucky to get it just below the full mark. Had it spit the nozzel out of the tank before while throwing gas on the car, me and the ground. And I normally never set the notch on the handle to go faster then the slowest setting.

When filling diesel, the slower the better. Less foam .. faster fill .. fuller tank .. less problems.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

5. Likes cosmicIPA, walla2k5 liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AnOldBiker View Post
    The problems I have found is either with the pumps pressure setting is to high or the orfice they installed in the pump is to large. Years ago they pumped slower and the orfice size was different than now.

But in time they wanted to get the customer in, fill their tanks as fas as they could, get your money and get you out. Profit above all else. Faster you get the customer in/out, the more customers you can sell to per hour.

But by doing this, in both gas and diesel, you get higher back pressure on gas and it trips, or it foams the diesel and it kicks off and spits out. The customer looses either way. I've filled my gasser in some stations and with the pressure and orfice size, I felt lucky to get it just below the full mark. Had it spit the nozzel out of the tank before while throwing gas on the car, me and the ground. And I normally never set the notch on the handle to go faster then the slowest setting.

When filling diesel, the slower the better. Less foam .. faster fill .. fuller tank .. less problems.
    I dunno Jim. I don't ever have a filling issue. Large or small nozzle

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

7. Thanks cosmicIPA thanked for this post
    Likes cosmicIPA, walla2k5 liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

In my experience it's seems to be the the higher flows at some pumps that does it; you have to feather the trigger

Eric
    2013 6.7L G56 / CCLB SRW / 85Gal Transfer Tank/Box

Eric
    2013 / 3500 Tradesman / 6.7L / G56 / CCLB / SWD

9. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #7
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

I had that problem the very first time o filled my ram 3500 Cummins. Then I realized that I had to insert the nozzle completely to the hilt for it to take fuel. I figured that there must be some kind of backflow cap inside the full tube that you must push past. That is just my thought. After putting the nozzle all the way in, I have never had that issue again. Sounds like your issue may be different.

2016 RAM 3500 6.7L Cummins CC Longhorn
    2014 RAM 1500 5.7 HEMI CC Longhorn (traded)

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

11. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #8
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    I dunno Jim. I don't ever have a filling issue. Large or small nozzle

Most places I fuel are at the highway or near it, and they like to get you in and kick you out. After a couple times with it puking on me, I slowed up and never had an issue. As for the discussion of the speed and orfice sizing in the pump, I talked with the company I retired from and this is generally acceptable for the industry. The thought is more vehicles at the pump .. the more product sold and profit for the day. But they did admit they sent out orders to the repair people that they were getting to aggressive when a pump back spilled on a board exceutive and upset him. There are now maximum standards for fill speeds. At least in our company.

If you never puke a tank filling, feel blessed.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

13. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AnOldBiker View Post
    Most places I fuel are at the highway or near it, and they like to get you in and kick you out. After a couple times with it puking on me, I slowed up and never had an issue. As for the discussion of the speed and orfice sizing in the pump, I talked with the company I retired from and this is generally acceptable for the industry. The thought is more vehicles at the pump .. the more product sold and profit for the day. But they did admit they sent out orders to the repair people that they were getting to aggressive when a pump back spilled on a board exceutive and upset him. There are now maximum standards for fill speeds. At least in our company.

If you never puke a tank filling, feel blessed.
    I guess it's all in the wrist. So I make a good gas jockey. LOL

Remember, NJ is still attendant. No such thing as fill your own. Never seems to be an issue, but I usually do it myself anyway. I have to get out and stuff the arch oil 6200 in the tank anyway. Although they are talking about doin g away with it, eliminating about 6000 jobs state wide. . . .

I hope they don't stop the attendant. As much as I love my queen, Elaine, I'd have to take the car an fill the tank. She refuses to do it. I never even bought gas for this thing.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC