Thanks Thanks:  38
Likes Likes:  180
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Cummins Def System Gone in 2020? - New Engine?

1. Top Of Page | #11

User Info Menu

Re: Cummins Def System Gone in 2020? - New Engine?

The DEF system in our newer trucks must function optimally in warmer environments rather than in colder ones, in my option. So in Alaska our longer winters probably equate to an increased amount of DEF issues compared to say trucks operating in Texas. My 2013 truck has been in for DEF related issues numerous times, some for replacing DEF injector and some apparently related to software bugs, but luckily all has been covered under warranty. Understanding that DEF will begin to ‘slush’ before it freezes and will ultimately freeze into a solid state when the fluid temp reaches just 12 degrees F requires a DEF heater system too. Which is just another point of failure of the DEF system. "The process of freezing DEF has no effects on its quality or performance" unless it's the fluid in your vehicle's DEF tank that freezes up...

Eric
    2013 / 3500 Tradesman / 6.7L / G56 / CCLB / SWD

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

Well from how I understand it, both EGR and DEF are used to lower NOX from the emissions. In my thoughts we are stuck with DEF for a while anyway. I imagine the next move diesel engines will make is to step away from EGR, relying totally on DEF/SCR for NOx removal and maybe eventually eliminating the DPF for particulate.

It is kind of like the process off road diesel have used to meet tier 4 emissions. They have came along way in the past few years to where half of them are running without EGR, and DPF filters but relying solely on DEF/SCR to meet the emissions. That is apples to oranges, but I imagine on road engines will trend in the same direction eventually.

2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Laramie 4x4 AISIN 3.73 DRW - RaceMe Ultra / WARP by Double R Diesel
    2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab Laramie 4x4 68RFE 3.73 - Mini Maxx MCC by Double R Diesel
    2010 Ram 2500 Crew Cab Laramie 4x4 Garmon 68RFE 3.73 - 500k+ miles Raceme Ultra / Warp by Double R Diesel

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189, ChrisU liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew67 View Post
    Well from how I understand it, both EGR and DEF are used to lower NOX from the emissions. In my thoughts we are stuck with DEF for a while anyway. I imagine the next move diesel engines will make is to step away from EGR, relying totally on DEF/SCR for NOx removal and maybe eventually eliminating the DPF for particulate.

It is kind of like the process off road diesel have used to meet tier 4 emissions. They have came along way in the past few years to where half of them are running without EGR, and DPF filters but relying solely on DEF/SCR to meet the emissions. That is apples to oranges, but I imagine on road engines will trend in the same direction eventually.
    You are correct. It's weird chemistry, only us ungineers kinda understand it, but I'm electrical so combustion was something we didn't want to know about. LOL

It's supposed to lower the combustion temperatures. Makes no sense, they shoved soot laden hot exhaust gasses back into the cylinders. When Caterpillar was still doing truck engines, they were cooling the recycled exhaust with the air condition compressor. They also got their gas after the DPF. I felt Cat's system was really great! Clean, really cooled gass's going back to the intake. I don't recall seeing an NOX filter either.

When I was working on deleting the EGR valves, My concept was to reduce the intake temps with a very large intercooler and cooling the exhaust gas even more. I also tried sucking the exhaust gas after the DPF, like cats. That worked the best and I was real close to the acceptable NOX emissions.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

6. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS, ChrisU liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #14

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmicIPA View Post
    You can't be hinting at the future electric Cummins that's in the works?

2013 6.7L G56 CCLB SRW 85G Transfer Tank /Box
    Eric
    Been saying it for years. Diesel electric is the most efficient, but the cry babies don't like the smell. @F350Cummins and I were kicking it around. Finding the right Genset was a problem. we were going to grab a 2500 junker and retro fit it. Time and money

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

8. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #15

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    Been saying it for years. Diesel electric is the most efficient, but the cry babies don't like the smell. @F350Cummins and I were kicking it around. Finding the right Genset was a problem. we were going to grab a 2500 junker and retro fit it. Time and money
    I am tempted to. Need to find a motor, and I would commit my diesel Genset to it

2014 Ram 2500 CCSB Ram Box Larime
    2011 Ram 5500
    2006 Diesel Jeep Liberty
    RIP. 2016 Tradesman 2500 picked up 9/28/16 MM3 DRD Tuning 107K miles wrecked by jeep wrangler.....

Other Toys: 1973 Charger Bougham edition 400 big block 42K original miles
    Unicycles (about 3 dozen)

6 in a row makes her go

10. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  11. Top Of Page | #16

User Info Menu

Sure, it's understood that EGRless Stage V Cummins is for the construction, farm, etc., but I don't think an EGRless 6.7 is a stretch for on road use.

Ray is already doing it with current emissions hardware, I'm sure a Cummins engineer can figure it out.

Maybe it's not a coincidence Ram waited till 2020 for the new truck design, right after Cummins releases Stage V?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

12. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189 thanked for this post
  13. Top Of Page | #17

User Info Menu

Subscribing to keep up to date

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

14. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  15. Top Of Page | #18

User Info Menu

The only problem I have with my DEF system is what I am going to do with it. It is sitting out by my trash cans.

Brent
    2017 Ram 2500 Limited / 6.7 / 68RFE / BDS 8" Lift / 38 x 13.5 Trail Grapplers / 20 x 10 Hostile Wheels
    2020 Ram 2500 Tradesman / 6.7 / 68RFE
    1993 W250 LE / 5.9 12V / G360 - 5 Speed

16. Top Of Page | #19

User Info Menu

No way is DEF going anywhere. look around at how many stations are adding DEF tanks. i think they are going to delete the EGR at most. but i also think the after treatments will be much smaller.

17. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  18. Top Of Page | #20

User Info Menu

My opinion would be that if they really want to reduce emissions, they should start by cleaning up the factory tune. I haven't looked at very many of the newer trucks but from the 2010 that I had, that tune was horrible from the factory.

19. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast