Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  6
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: White smoke out of breather engine runs fine

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

White smoke out of breather engine runs fine

So I bought my first cummins about 2 mounths ago and it runs great and sounds fantastic. But there is a lot of (blow by) white smoke comming out of the breather. I am wondering if it could be because of the vacuum pump leak??. I don't have money to rebuild it. So I'm hoping some one can help me. I did the oil cap test and there is no air or smoke moving the oil cap. Truck has 240,000 miles and is a 24 v.
    Thanks much

Last edited by Jimmycummins; 08-30-2017 at 10:00 AM. Reason: Forgot something

2. Likes david3gen liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Re: White smoke out of breather engine runs fine

What year, ect. .. more info

And it looks like this is your first post ..... to the forum

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

4. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AnOldBiker View Post
    What year, ect. .. more info

And it looks like this is your first post ..... to the forum
    Thanks. See? And you wonder why I blow a gasket. LOL

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

6. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

It's a 2002 cummins 2 gen has an edge comp box 240,000 miles new turbo. And it runs like a top it's not a lot of white smoke but it get worse as the engine is warmed up. It I believe has stock injectors. Not much engine mods and that's about is. Like I said I did the oil cap test and it looked good to me no air pushing out at all.

8. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

If it's the crankcase breather, I'd think it's normal operating conditions to see a light haze coming out.
    Is there a filter on it or does it dump to the atmosphere?

9. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

It dumps into the atmosphere and it's kinda a hard air flow
    im mainly worried about it because my cousin has the same truck just two years older and his doesn't blow any and there's no smoke. His has 15,000 more miles

10. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

I can't remember if that has a breather on it or not. I tried looking for one on Rock Auto, but none listed. I do remember a vent tube that went to a jar under the radiator on my 01. I forget what they called it.

The point is the jar was always covered with oil, and never had much in it. There is a fair amount of blow by on the 24 valve vs the 12 Valve.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

11. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

@Jimmycummins, can you post a short video of your concern? Might help to put eyes on it.

12. Likes Power247 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

I will once I get it posted to YouTube

14. Thanks 16 Cummins thanked for this post
  15. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Here's the link

it gets worse as the truck is warmed up

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast