Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Exhaust Manifold question

1. Top Of Page | #1
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Exhaust Manifold question

So I'm 99% sure going to be replacing my exhaust manifold this winter, I think I need a new gasket in between my stock manifold and the block (when someone start my pickup if I'm standing over the engine bay I can see exhaust escape from between the manifold and block)and I figure for as old as my truck is and as cruddy looking as my manifold is I think I might wanna replace the manifold too. I've read in places that if your manifold is really bad sometimes it may require resurfacing before putting it back on with a new gasket and aftermarket manifolds are less prone to warping/cracking and the improved exhaust flow can increase certain aspects of performance. I know they can be pricey but I figure I might wait to buy it on black Friday or something maybe I can get one for $100 off (hopefully).

So! Why I'm posting: when I first started looking I looked at the bladerunner product made by aFe because I was familiar with the brand and think they make good products (if someone has experience with aFe and think they're crap please let me know) and they actually make 2 different exhaust manifolds one is stainless steel and is more expensive and doesn't come with a gasket for some reason. The other one is ductile iron, less expensive, and comes with gaskets. I'm assuming the stainless steel is more expensive because it's better.. is that right? And does anyone know why it's better? Is it worth the money to buy one that is stainless steel vs iron? Also has anyone ever replaced their manifold before? What brand manifold did you guys buy and are you happy with the purchase? It seems like I have plenty of options for the 12 valve in either one piece of three piece manifolds, and I'm not set on buying an aFe it's just the first I looked at and noticed the difference and I don't know if one is better than the other and why and if it's worth the money.

I'll leave links to the two products below if anyone wants to check them out for what ever reason.

Stainless- http://www.thoroughbreddiesel.com/afe/46-40041.htm

Iron- http://www.thoroughbreddiesel.com/afe/46-40044.htm

Sorry if I have any typos: Thanks guys!

2. Likes Power247 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Re: Exhaust Manifold question

Just want to ask, when you notice the blow up from the manifold / engine block gasket, have you waited until it's cold and check the torque on the bolts yet ? You didn't mention this. It's rare, but they can loosen if not installed properly. And if you pull the exhaust manifold, before getting any mill work, use a straight edge and see if there is play in the surface. If none, your wasting your money.

Have the options for worse case issues is great, but take it a step at a time and you might save work and money. Unless you want to convert to a newer exhaust, then get it together and go for it. We have plenty vendors here that can help.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

I installed the B&D three piece pulse manifold on my 5.9 Cummins 12 valve ductile iron is what I bought

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

5. Top Of Page | #4
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

No I have not checked the bolts, everything on it is stock I doubt they've been touched since the truck was built. I will have to do that! I still wanna know about the stainless vs iron manifolds, which is better and why if anyone knows.

6. Top Of Page | #5
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

As to the difference between each metal manifold dwells into metallurgy, which I do not have any knowledge in. Just a very very basic knowledge of.

I believe @Polaraco was into that. Maybe he will chime in on this.

I do know people are very slowly moving into stainless steel with after market manafolds since it's not suppose to rust, be a tad thicker and supposedly warps less in it's lifetime.

But this is hear say I've read on the web with no real data to back it up. Cast has always been used over the decades and the auto industry loves it due to manufacturing and cost.

Would like to hear from someojne that actually knows this stuff.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

7. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Following

Life is a one time offer, make the most of it

In pursuit of more power in which the wallet will allow mods to date. Edge Evolution, Banks Air Filter, 5" cat back Banks Monster exhaust, Billet built auto trans Triple disc TC, Derale trans cooler, Sinister coolant filter,5" aluminum drive shafts
    Gary

http://igotacummins.com/vbrides.php?...3#.VT-wuiFVhBc