Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: Intake question

1. Top Of Page | #1
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Intake question

Looking into upgrading the air box with something with more air flow....thinking of using an industrial filter from work (i.e. bhaf mod) or buying a legit intake...looking for anyone's feedback I know that anything with a heat shield is better for the bhaf mod but there seems to be a lot of intakes on ebay with heat shields ranging from $50-$350. Was just curious what's out there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Re: Intake question

Many with the older models have used the BHAF that I know of and also read about on other forums. I've also thought of converting to one myself. From what I've been reading, they clean well and when the trucks turbo demands the extra air flow, they are well capable. The major finding I've read was the length of life compared to stock and other models of air filter. A heat shield is recommended, but many set ups I've seen worked .. ok .. without one. A prefilter is recommended for extended life. One I've seen was in there for several years and when removed, and bang on the ground dropped a ton of dirt. ANd with one, I asked if his trubo blades were dirty or not, he pulled the inlet tube to inspect and they were clean.

But, except for the longer extended life verses the others, I'm not usre if they are any better. Hard to determine if they flow more or the same without any instruments to check. They did meet the demand, per the owner, when it was needed. With your truck being a '97, you have the room next to the firewall on the passenger side for this filter where I and others in the slightly newer models must play with the existing filter area to fit one. But if you looking for a CIA, they are far from one with it being in the engine compartment and drawing from there only. But this is a another topic that has been batted around for years, is it better as a CAI or from in the engine compartment only .. warmer air for better combustion. (some say it's better with a better intake air temp, especially for the winter months).

Since the stock air filters are cheap for the older models, but the BHAF can last way longer, and with good filtration, it is a hard choice. But you can save lots in the long run with the BHAF ... The gold is getting the cleanest air with the highest air flow when needed from the filter. It's a hard choice. But in your case, not to expensive to test the waters.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

4. Thanks Mike Cole thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AnOldBiker View Post
    Many with the older models have used the BHAF that I know of and also read about on other forums. I've also thought of converting to one myself. From what I've been reading, they clean well and when the trucks turbo demands the extra air flow, they are well capable. The major finding I've read was the length of life compared to stock and other models of air filter. A heat shield is recommended, but many set ups I've seen worked .. ok .. without one. A prefilter is recommended for extended life. One I've seen was in there for several years and when removed, and bang on the ground dropped a ton of dirt. ANd with one, I asked if his trubo blades were dirty or not, he pulled the inlet tube to inspect and they were clean.

But, except for the longer extended life verses the others, I'm not usre if they are any better. Hard to determine if they flow more or the same without any instruments to check. They did meet the demand, per the owner, when it was needed. With your truck being a '97, you have the room next to the firewall on the passenger side for this filter where I and others in the slightly newer models must play with the existing filter area to fit one. But if you looking for a CIA, they are far from one with it being in the engine compartment and drawing from there only. But this is a another topic that has been batted around for years, is it better as a CAI or from in the engine compartment only .. warmer air for better combustion. (some say it's better with a better intake air temp, especially for the winter months).

Since the stock air filters are cheap for the older models, but the BHAF can last way longer, and with good filtration, it is a hard choice. But you can save lots in the long run with the BHAF ... The gold is getting the cleanest air with the highest air flow when needed from the filter. It's a hard choice. But in your case, not to expensive to test the waters.
    I have seen the bhaf setup seems to be the most popular vs. All the more expensive upgrades....I don't care about the looks as long as it helps the turbo get more air

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

6. Likes david3gen liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

After I put on an S&B CAI system in 2013, I found I didn't like their dry air filter, which cost $45 and through S&B only. It did give plenty of air, but during a cross country trip with large cross winds and dirt from the farming on going in Texas and Arizona, I was in a pinch for a filter. Mine was plugged and after trying to clean, it was questionable in use. I didn't have a spare at the time. Behind that old rock and a hard space.

I found one made by aFe, which was dry, fit the S&B inlet fitting and was washable or better known as reusable. ( http://afepower.com/afe-power-21-505...y-s-air-filter ) Since then, I clean it once per year, and if on the road and it is plugged, have cleaned it in the hotel room and was dry well before the next morning to install and keep going. PLUS, there has always been plenty of air, either unloaded or pulling my trailer loaded to the max.

Just something personal I'd thought I'd mention. Not a huge filter like the BHAF, but does the job extremely well, cost wasn't bad and after several cleanings with all the dirt it's seen, still like new. Something to consider.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

8. Likes david3gen liked this post