Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  5

Thread: Taking out dash 3in speakers and putting tweets?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Taking out dash 3in speakers and putting tweets?

Okay I'm upgrading the the whole trucks audio and my dash speakers are 3in coax speakers, they are telling my to get rid of the those speakers and put tweeters up there and have 4 real good speakers in the doors? Is this good or bad? Will it sound better I don't know much about audio systems. Thanks

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Taking out dash 3in speakers and putting tweets?

Replacing the cheap factory speakers with good aftermarket ones is almost always an improvement. Tweeters by themselves in the dash locations can sound a bit harsh. I went with Infinity 3 1\2s and have been very happy with thier performance. What all are you having done?

Greg
    2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | Custom tuned by Double R Diesel
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

3. Likes Snow Dodge liked this post
  4. Top Of Page | #3
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Heck ... might has well make a write up on this and throw in some pics .... might help someone later on ..

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

5. Thanks Cummins7 thanked for this post
    Likes Power247, Cummins7, Snow Dodge liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

LOL, I'm getting 4 JL audio Speakers, ( speakers are JL C1 690) tweeters for the dash, deleting the 3 inch speakers already in the dash. Amp mounted under the bench seat in rear. (I'm guessing that's where I should mount it, if you have heard of a better location let me know) the. I'm getting the kenwood excelon dnx893s with back up camera to run the whole system.

7. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ryanwill36 View Post
    LOL, I'm getting 4 JL audio Speakers, ( speakers are JL C1 690) tweeters for the dash, deleting the 3 inch speakers already in the dash. Amp mounted under the bench seat in rear. (I'm guessing that's where I should mount it, if you have heard of a better location let me know) the. I'm getting the kenwood excelon dnx893s with back up camera to run the whole system.
    I gotcha now. No harm in trying out the tweeters in the upper dash locations. Worst case is you don't like them and you can replace them with some 3 1\2s from the same series later. I mounted my amp to the back wall instead of under the seat but that was because I was mounting subs under the seats. Either is a suitable location.

I have a thread further down in this section where I outline the majority of my build that I just fixed all the pictures thanks to Photobucket.

Greg

Greg

8. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Power247 View Post
    I gotcha now. No harm in trying out the tweeters in the upper dash locations. Worst case is you don't like them and you can replace them with some 3 1\2s from the same series later. I mounted my amp to the back wall instead of under the seat but that was because I was mounting subs under the seats. Either is a suitable location.

I have a thread further down in this section where I outline the majority of my build that I just fixed all the pictures thanks to Photobucket.

Greg

You have a link? I don't really want to drill holes in my floor to mount a freaking amp. Just aggravates me but if that's all I have then it will work

9. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

You have a link? I don't really want to drill holes in my floor to mount a freaking amp. Just aggravates me but if that's all I have then it will work
    Here's the link to my build thread. https://www.igotacummins.com/showthread.php?t=3174

Greg

Greg

10. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Power247 View Post
    Here's the link to my build thread. https://www.igotacummins.com/showthread.php?t=3174

Greg

Damn you did some customizing haha
    did you add anything to the doors when installing the speakers? I'm afraid with the AMP and New speakers my doors will rattle when I turn it up or do these trucks not rattle much

11. Likes Power247 liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Damn you did some customizing haha
    did you add anything to the doors when installing the speakers? I'm afraid with the AMP and New speakers my doors will rattle when I turn it up or do these trucks not rattle much
    Thanks! It's was a fun project for sure. I did stick some adhesive sound deadening to the inside skin of the doors but that was more to quiet the cab than anything. These door seal up pretty well on thier own. The only rattle I get is from the headliner overhead console.

Greg

Greg