Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: injector specs

1. Top Of Page | #1
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

injector specs

While browsing for injectors for a 12-valve firepump engine I noticed some ads like 5x.010-Cummins... 5x.014-Cummins... 5x.020 & 5x.030

What do these mean specs mean, orifice openings?

How are injectors classified and what would be the required injector specs for engine type Cumins 6BTA5.9-F1 (#45654340)?

TIA

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: injector specs

@AccurateDiesel can explain these for you.

*Ask about becoming a Lifetime Platinum Member Today*

"The grass is greener where you water it"

4. Top Of Page | #3
    Permanent Vacation AccurateDiesel's Avatar

User Info Menu

The first number is the number of orifices in the injector nozzle. The second number is the size of each orifice in inches. So, a 5x12 (or 5x.012) is a five hole nozzle with each hole being 0.012 inches (twelve thousandths) in diameter.

Are you looking for a strictly stock injector, or a performance injector?

5. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, 4kids2dogs&RV thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AccurateDiesel View Post
    The first number is the number of orifices in the injector nozzle. The second number is the size of each orifice in inches. So, a 5x12 (or 5x.012) is a five hole nozzle with each hole being 0.012 inches (twelve thousandths) in diameter.

Are you looking for a strictly stock injector, or a performance injector?
    Thanks a meg!

I was just poking around trying to find out what there was and what I had, strictly stock as the engine will likely go on my snow-blower. Since then I had them tested, 3 out of 6 were shot useless so they all went in for refurbish/rebuild as OEM CAV injectors. Apparently these firepump engines with the Lucas CAV pumps require that and no jobber equivalents could be found (at least not by my mechanic). I should have them next week and the resulting test run will decide if I go ahead and open the engine or not. Once I knew they were shot I went for the rebuild because good injectors will be a must even if I rebuild the engine so nothing is wasted.