Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: I NEED HELP TROUBLE SHOOTING!!

1. Top Of Page | #1
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

I NEED HELP TROUBLE SHOOTING!!

Okay I need to get this problem figured out asap because I need my truck and I don't wanna pay a shop to fix it if it ends up being something simple. So I parked my truck in the barn 2 days ago and everything on it ran fine then I fired it up earlier this afternoon and the idle speed has dropped from 700-800 to around 500. I put it in 1st and drove it out of the barn onto some grass to wash it and the tuck ran fine, it didn't blow any excessive smoke of any kind, and it didn't throw a code to light up a problem light on my dash. As soon as I pushed the clutch in and took my foot off the accelerator it dropped to 500 rpm again. Now I thought I could just turn up the idle speed with that screw I have on my injector pump but part of me isn't sure if that's my problem or not. If it was the screw that vibrarted itself out (I don't know how else it would change speed) I would think that is something that would happen over time and not over night. Does anyone have any idea what it could be? It also might be worth noting that if I just slightly tap the accelerator then my idle speed jumps up to where it should be (750-800 rpm). Anyone have an ideas? My truck is a '97 12 valve, with a 5 speed if that matters any.

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: I NEED HELP TROUBLE SHOOTING!!

Hm... that is odd. Try adjusting it and see how it goes from there. Go under there and make sure that nothing is loose at all.

After you adjust it to where you like it run with it awhile to see if anything like that happens again.

Matthew 6:9-13, 2 Corinthians 5:20
    See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email us at:
    sales@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Fuel filter leak/dirty? Maybe if you have the option drain the water separator ..... just thinking

4. Top Of Page | #4
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Make sure you document everything. If you turn the screw 1/4 turn in, log it. Don't go by memory, it can become lapsed. And if you need to reverse, you know what you did and how much.

It is strange it happened just sitting there 2 days. How's the condition of the battery ? Connections ? What have you done to it lately ?

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

5. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mattynite View Post
    Okay I need to get this problem figured out asap because I need my truck and I don't wanna pay a shop to fix it if it ends up being something simple. So I parked my truck in the barn 2 days ago and everything on it ran fine then I fired it up earlier this afternoon and the idle speed has dropped from 700-800 to around 500. I put it in 1st and drove it out of the barn onto some grass to wash it and the tuck ran fine, it didn't blow any excessive smoke of any kind, and it didn't throw a code to light up a problem light on my dash. As soon as I pushed the clutch in and took my foot off the accelerator it dropped to 500 rpm again. Now I thought I could just turn up the idle speed with that screw I have on my injector pump but part of me isn't sure if that's my problem or not. If it was the screw that vibrarted itself out (I don't know how else it would change speed) I would think that is something that would happen over time and not over night. Does anyone have any idea what it could be? It also might be worth noting that if I just slightly tap the accelerator then my idle speed jumps up to where it should be (750-800 rpm). Anyone have an ideas? My truck is a '97 12 valve, with a 5 speed if that matters any.
    a

Start with the basics.

When was the fuel filter changed last?

When was the air filter serviced last?

Get some www.archoil.com Fuel system cleaner. Couple of bottles.

How's it run otherwise?

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

6. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

I have a 98 12v and the linkage where it hooks up to the p pump is a little sloppy I would wiggle that around and see if anything changes..mine has been this way for 3 years...my 97 is tight...just haven't bothered to look at it yet.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

7. Top Of Page | #7
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

I figured it out!! My father thought he would be funny and engage my exhaust break when my truck was parked to see if I'd notice. Turns out.. I didn't notice. That's why it was doing all of that. Sorry it took me over a week to reply to you guys but thank you for the helpful insight, it was no big deal after all!

8. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Haha! Whew glad you got it figured out bud. Crazy how the simple things get us every time.

Dude's Diesel Performance, LLC
    Clayton & Jordan
    281-895-3833
    Columbus, TX

Matthew 6:9-13, 2 Corinthians 5:20
    See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email us at:
    sales@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com