Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  11
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aisin or 68RFE

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Aisin or 68RFE

I am about to purchase a new truck. I'm trying to decide between the aisin and the 68RFE. I don't need the aisin. I am just looking for reliability.
    I know people choose the 68RFE for ride comfort in a 2500. Others for more tuning in the 68RFE and aftermarket selection. Also because of price.

When end it comes to the point of me deleting it. I'm not looking to crank the power up. Just something mild, like a 30hp or a 60hp.
    i will also add just a level kit and 35" tires.

Can an anyone else point out anything for me. Thank you in advance.

2. Likes cumminsbadgirl, david3gen liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Aisin or 68RFE

I have a 17 2500 68RFE and it was a big change for me coming from a Allison 6 speed. I actually ordered at 3500 srw aisin with factory air ride at same time I ordered my 2500, thinking that would make the ride better but it was worse than regular springs. The aisin programing and shift schedule is 10 times better than the 68RFE in tow haul it will actually hold gears without you needing to lock them out and skip gears on down shifts to stop fast. My biggest complaints for the 68RFE are 1. It wants to shift to fast and run around town in 6th going 45 mph. 2. The tcc will not lock under 30 mph. I did some driving on a 26% grade (not towing) everything was great till I had to slow for a hair pin turn, I let off the break expecting the exhaust brake to come back on and it was like I was in neutral. The truck has zero hold back when tcc is not locked, so I had to ride the brake and press the throttle to get the tcc to lock then exhaust break would come back on down to 18 mph as long as the throttle was not touched. Aisin will down shift through the gears without your foot on the brake, a big help when slowing a big trailer. Plus aisin has a drain plug and slightly lower gear ratio, If you plan to tow often I would buy the aisin if u can stand the ride.

With all that said the 68RFE is a good Trans but needs major tuning upgrade. If I had the chance to do it over again I would get 3500 srw aisin add a Carli kit take a leaf out of the back and run bags for towing.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

4. Thanks cumminsbadgirl thanked for this post
    Likes Wisenheimer liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Im not an Aisin fan because of the price and the limitations in tuning and modification. Do the 68RFE and upgrade the valve body and your converter for a super solid setup.

6. Thanks JaredHerzog thanked for this post
    Likes JaredHerzog liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

The 68 leaves a lot to be desired. With tuning on mine now I'm liking it better (2009 so never had support from RaceME)

For me the Aisin is still a bit to new and people are learning what to do to them for aftermarket. I've driven them and do like certain things about them. Hauling is nice if you're heavy

The 68 will pull fine to though. With my trans tuning from Higher Power Performance. In tow/haul my EB pulls down to about 22-25 mph. I did go with a 2nd lock for unloaded driving
    So far (about 100 miles) I'm impressed with everything. I'll be hauling in the bed tomorrow approx 1600lbs

I believe the newer trucks have slightly higher pressure for the 68 which helps

8. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

From a future standpoint the 68RFE definitely has my vote right now if you want to have any kind of power or tuning upgrades. Once you upgrade them or replace them with a fully built one you will most definitely be happy.

If what you plan to do is leave it mostly stock, then the Aisin isn't a bad choice at all. You will in fact be limited to performance upgrades though until they start trickling out with them.

Also if you plan on keeping the truck a long period of time, the Aisin will be more expensive to fix and work on.

Matthew 6:9-13, 2 Corinthians 5:20
    See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email us at:
    sales@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

9. Likes Wisenheimer liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

What does that cost to do? Or what set up to even look for?

11. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Wisenheimer View Post
    Im not an Aisin fan because of the price and the limitations in tuning and modification. Do the 68RFE and upgrade the valve body and your converter for a super solid setup.
    What does it cost to do? Or what to even look for?

12. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

When I was looking it was about 2k to 2500 depending on brand, single or triple disk, solenoid, etc. then add on any core charge and install fees if you use a shop. My opinion is that one brand isn't really that much better than the other for a normal consumer so I am all about customer service. Clayton at Dudes Diesel was very helpful for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

I have a 4500 CC 2008 6.7 with an Aisin 68RC. I am currently on the 6th Tranny. I keep burning them up working gas line construction. I would no doubt buy the manual next time.

15. Thanks Cummins7 thanked for this post
  16. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Wow that's quite a few!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast