Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  11
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Aisin or 68RFE

1. Top Of Page | #11

User Info Menu

Re: Aisin or 68RFE

Quote Originally Posted by cpe View Post
    I have a 4500 CC 2008 6.7 with an Aisin 68RC. I am currently on the 6th Tranny. I keep burning them up working gas line construction. I would no doubt buy the manual next time.
    Holy cow 6th tranny in how many miles ?

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

2. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by HKBIGDADDYDIESELDAN View Post
    Holy cow 6th tranny in how many miles ?
    I have approx. 86K miles on it. The last tranny lasted about 12K miles. I have fought with my dealer over and over again about the tranny. Last time it cost about 11K dollars to have replaced but it came with a 3yr 100K mile warranty. I am waiting to take it back in now to have it replaced, and they are going to start my warranty over again or we are going to have problems. I am smarter than the dealership thinks last time they said it was empty of oil, but I assure it was not. They pulled the tranny and had emptied the oil before they made up the story that it was low or empty of oil. I had no proof that it was not so I had to pay the 11K and they had my truck for 8 months. Well when it goes back to the shop this time I am going to have there mechanic come out and check the oil and sign off that it is properly filled. I have tried to trade but they want it for nothing. I am surprised that no one else has this type of problem.

3. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

It all depends on what you desire, if you plan to delete and tune then take the cost of the Aisin and put that into beefing up the 68RFE. If you are leaving stock get the Aisin. The 68 really sucks in my 09. It's terrible for towing and shifts are all over the place.

4. Top Of Page | #14

User Info Menu

I've been told the early aisin was a huge pile of crap but I do hear good things about the newer 69rc

5. Likes 1johnb liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #15

Lemon law man no way I'd be on my 6th. Sorry old but this bugged the cr@p out of me

7. Top Of Page | #16

User Info Menu

For years the Asian was found only in the Cab and Chassis. 3500 to 5500. It is definitely different and more suited for loads and towing as mentioned. If you are just buying a truck to use as a car, the 68 is plenty. With minimal care, and low abuse, it will go a long way. Continually pounding it will shorten it's life for sure.

So unless you're planning on getting a 40 foot trailer, don't bother with the asian. Put the money into other goodies.

The old fart's .02

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

8. Thanks Weeseven thanked for this post
    Likes cumminsbadgirl, Weeseven liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #17

User Info Menu

The 68RFE tranny is one hell of a lot better then the old 47RE or 48RE if you take it easy on it holds up pretty well just can't go beating the **** out of them have almost 122,000 on my 2012 and pull trailers probably anywhere between 85 to 90% of time and still going strong very little problems if any

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

10. Thanks Polaraco thanked for this post
    Likes cumminsbadgirl, Polaraco liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #18

User Info Menu

I had 2016 with 68 and snapped the input shaft..my 2018 has the 69rc,It shifts like a bus,I hope it lasts

12. Top Of Page | #19

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by johnyq View Post
    I had 2016 with 68 and snapped the input shaft..my 2018 has the 69rc,It shifts like a bus,I hope it lasts
    They'll only take so much abuse. You wanna play, you're gonna pay

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

13. Top Of Page | #20

User Info Menu

I spoke to a guy once at a Pilot gas station here in Statesville NC that told me he snapped an input shaft also on his 68RFE dually, but after talking to him for a while I understand why it snapped. He had the Tune cranked up to make pulling a gooseneck loaded with cars going up Fancy Gap Mountain. Keep it low hp and you should not be snapping Input shafts. A stock Allison won’t take the abuse a Cummins will put out either.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12