Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  35
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Burping the Radiator after EGR delete.

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Burping the Radiator after EGR delete.

Hoping to get some help here folks. I deleted the EGR cooler on my 2016 Ram 2500 this weekend and am having a heck of a time seeing how to burp the cooling system to ensure there is no trapped air. Any thoughts on how I go about this are welcomed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, SyN liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Burping the Radiator after EGR delete.

Quote Originally Posted by BrightWhiteCummins View Post
    Hoping to get some help here folks. I deleted the EGR cooler on my 2016 Ram 2500 this weekend and am having a heck of a time seeing how to burp the cooling system to ensure there is no trapped air. Any thoughts on how I go about this are welcomed.

I never actively bleed one. I fill the radiator and degas bottle to the proper levels and drive. Once the thermostat has cycled a few times at operating temp I bring the truck back and let it cool off. I then open the radiator cap to check level. Then I add coolant if needed to both the radiator and degas bottle. Usually after that all is good.

Ray
    Double R Diesel, LLC
    www.doublerdiesel.com
    info@doublerdiesel.com

The Cummins Whisperer! John 3:16, Romans 10:9-10...Tuning for the Heart and Soul.

4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Double R Diesel View Post
    I never actively bleed one. I fill the radiator and degas bottle to the proper levels and drive. Once the thermostat has cycled a few times at operating temp I bring the truck back and let it cool off. I then open the radiator cap to check level. Then I add coolant if needed to both the radiator and degas bottle. Usually after that all is good.

Ray
    Double R Diesel, LLC
    www.doublerdiesel.com
    info@doublerdiesel.com
    I must just be blind I have not seen a radiator cap on my truck just the reservoir on the back passenger side of the engine. Also I'm unsure of what the degas bottle is that you speak of.

On a side note getting that EGR cooler of was a pain in the neck. Those back two bolts royally suck .

5. Likes Jaxonsram liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4

I know for sure on my 2013 all it has is the reservoir. I done like ray mentioned. Filled it, run it a while, top it off. I keep an eye on it but I never had to refill since.

2019 Ram 2500. 8” FTS Lift. 38x15.50 Fury MT’s on 26x14 XF Offroad wheels.

2013 Ram 2500 Big Horn 4x4/Raceme Ultra with DRD WARP tunes/EGR, Throttle Valve, DPF Delete, 4'' FloPro/5'' Rough Country Lift Kit with 37's on 22" Fuel Flow

7. Likes BrightWhiteCummins, Gibenstein liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Froe View Post
    I know for sure on my 2013 all it has is the reservoir. I done like ray mentioned. Filled it, run it a while, top it off. I keep an eye on it but I never had to refill since.
    Well that's the route I was planning on going. I was surprised to find that I have to use a special coolant though. Unless of course it's just another money making hoax that RAM has out there. I know on my 2012 I was running ZEREX G-05 (HOAT) but this one requires (OAT) never heard of it before and what I found online talks about Mopar being the only thing available with exception of the dex-cool for GM. Confused yet

9. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Well that's the route I was planning on going. I was surprised to find that I have to use a special coolant though. Unless of course it's just another money making hoax that RAM has out there. I know on my 2012 I was running ZEREX G-05 (HOAT) but this one requires (OAT) never heard of it before and what I found online talks about Mopar being the only thing available with exception of the dex-cool for GM. Confused yet

My understanding is that with the 13 and newer trucks Chrysler switched to the OAT coolant. And yes DO NOT mix the old HOAT coolant with OAT. And yes my understanding is the new Dexcool for GM is the same OAT coolant Chrysler now uses.

Ray
    Double R Diesel, LLC
    www.doublerdiesel.com
    info@doublerdiesel.com

The Cummins Whisperer! John 3:16, Romans 10:9-10...Tuning for the Heart and Soul.

10. Thanks SyN thanked for this post
    Likes BrightWhiteCummins, SyN liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Double R Diesel View Post
    My understanding is that with the 13 and newer trucks Chrysler switched to the OAT coolant. And yes DO NOT mix the old HOAT coolant with OAT. And yes my understanding is the new Dexcool for GM is the same OAT coolant Chrysler now uses.

Ray
    Double R Diesel, LLC
    www.doublerdiesel.com
    info@doublerdiesel.com
    I guess the only difference between what Chrysler uses and the GM version is color. The small amount I should need to fill everything back shouldn't make a huge difference. I'm just going to get the coolant from Chrysler this go around because I like to throw money away . Thanks for the help. Also like to add that my truck is performing flawlessly since my upgrades and your tunes are incredible!

12. Thanks DRD thanked for this post
    Likes DRD, SyN liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

I guess the only difference between what Chrysler uses and the GM version is color. The small amount I should need to fill everything back shouldn't make a huge difference. I'm just going to get the coolant from Chrysler this go around because I like to throw money away . Thanks for the help. Also like to add that my truck is performing flawlessly since my upgrades and your tunes are incredible!

Yes the color is the only difference.

Ray
    Double R Diesel, LLC
    www.doublerdiesel.com
    info@doublerdiesel.com

14. Likes SyN liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

When I did mine last weekend, the service manual gives a procedure for refilling the coolant. I drained about 1 gallon and only a small amount drained out of the EGR cooler.

Here is the process from the 2017 service manual... without all the warnings about how bad coolant is for you if you drink it, how you should make sure your hoses are connected, etc, etc.....

07 - Cooling / Standard Procedure

FILLING – 6.7L Diesel

1. Close the radiator drain plug.

2. Using Funnel 8195A , fill the cooling system with coolant mixture (Refer to 07 - Cooling/Engine/COOLANT/Description) .

3. Add coolant to the overflow bottle until the level reaches the top of the fill neck. Then, allow the coolant level in the overflow bottle to settle for 90 seconds. Check level again and add coolant if necessary for the level to reach the top of the filler neck.

4. Install overflow bottle cap. Start engine and idle for 2 minutes. Shut off engine and ensure the coolant level is at the top of the overflow bottle filler neck. If coolant is added re-install the cap.

5. Start the engine and with the transmission in park and/or neutral, operate the engine at 2000 RPM. Monitor the coolant temperature on the EVIC. Once the temperature has reached 200° F, continue to operate the engine at 2000 RPM for 10 minutes, then shut the engine off.

6. After the engine has cooled check the coolant level. If coolant level is below the 'full Cold' marker, add coolant.

16. Likes BrightWhiteCummins, Power247, cwendel, SyN liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BrentM View Post
    When I did mine last weekend, the service manual gives a procedure for refilling the coolant. I drained about 1 gallon and only a small amount drained out of the EGR cooler.

Here is the process from the 2017 service manual... without all the warnings about how bad coolant is for you if you drink it, how you should make sure your hoses are connected, etc, etc.....

07 - Cooling / Standard Procedure

FILLING – 6.7L Diesel

1. Close the radiator drain plug.

2. Using Funnel 8195A , fill the cooling system with coolant mixture (Refer to 07 - Cooling/Engine/COOLANT/Description) .

3. Add coolant to the overflow bottle until the level reaches the top of the fill neck. Then, allow the coolant level in the overflow bottle to settle for 90 seconds. Check level again and add coolant if necessary for the level to reach the top of the filler neck.

4. Install overflow bottle cap. Start engine and idle for 2 minutes. Shut off engine and ensure the coolant level is at the top of the overflow bottle filler neck. If coolant is added re-install the cap.

5. Start the engine and with the transmission in park and/or neutral, operate the engine at 2000 RPM. Monitor the coolant temperature on the EVIC. Once the temperature has reached 200° F, continue to operate the engine at 2000 RPM for 10 minutes, then shut the engine off.

6. After the engine has cooled check the coolant level. If coolant level is below the 'full Cold' marker, add coolant.
    Thanks for the info.

18. Likes SyN liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast