Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  35
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Burping the Radiator after EGR delete.

1. Top Of Page | #11

User Info Menu

Re: Burping the Radiator after EGR delete.

So the process it different than it use to be? With my 09 we just disconnected hoses and plugged lines when removing the cooler. We never drained or added coolant

2. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

There's a bleed tube on the right side with a plug in it. IT sticks up next to the valve cover next to the alternator. It's black. Take the plug out and fill the rad until the coolant comes out of the tube. Plug it back up and you're done. That's how you burp them

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

3. Thanks walla2k5 thanked for this post
    Likes Power247, walla2k5, SyN liked this post
  4. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Double R Diesel View Post
    I never actively bleed one. I fill the radiator and degas bottle to the proper levels and drive. Once the thermostat has cycled a few times at operating temp I bring the truck back and let it cool off. I then open the radiator cap to check level. Then I add coolant if needed to both the radiator and degas bottle. Usually after that all is good.

Ray
    Double R Diesel, LLC
    www.doublerdiesel.com
    info@doublerdiesel.com
    Once again Ray has the answers thanks Ray

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

5. Top Of Page | #14

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    There's a bleed tube on the right side with a plug in it. IT sticks up next to the valve cover next to the alternator. It's black. Take the plug out and fill the rad until the coolant comes out of the tube. Plug it back up and you're done. That's how you burp them
    I think the bleed tube was eliminated, My 2017 does not have one.

6. Top Of Page | #15

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BrentM View Post
    I think the bleed tube was eliminated, My 2017 does not have one.
    Then there is a 1/4" plug in the head where I described. Look down on the head for a hex head plug. I never used it myself. I always filled it with the nose uphill

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

7. Top Of Page | #16

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    Then there is a 1/4" plug in the head where I described. Look down on the head for a hex head plug. I never used it myself. I always filled it with the nose uphill
    Right side, (passenger) is it the small one in the front in the red circle? the one toward the back looks like about 1/2"

I didn't have any problems with following the service manual, but they do mention a vacuum method, with some special service tool adapter (probably costs $400) and it would make sense to connect it there.

8. Thanks SyN thanked for this post
    Likes SyN liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #17

User Info Menu

After all the confusion from the site. I just want to clarify where the drain plug on the duel radiator for the 2013 Ram Cummins 6.7 L diesel is by the driverside headlight. You have to remove the grill and pull back the rubber flap on the driver side next to the headlight on the side of the radiator is the drain plug for the system. After you drain the system and tighten the drain plug back up. From there you can use your air vacuum pump to purge the air from the cooling system through the coolant reservoir up near the passenger firewall. The bottom front of the reservoir filler neck there is an air relief/ over flow port that will need to be plugged so you can pull a vacuum in the system. This was the case in my 2013 Ram with the dual radiator setup. A mechanic had replaced the y-pipe above the radiator, but did not pump the system back down and it caused no/ to low heat in the cab. I hope this help someone with similar year and cooling setup. You can not burp this system and get warm air to your heater core. So if you need to replace water pump, y-pipe, radiator,etc. you can top the system off, but you will need to drain and vacuum pump the system down if you want heat in the cabin come cold weather.

10. Thanks AK Bob, REPUBLIC_OF_TEXAS thanked for this post
    Likes Power247, AK Bob, SyN liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #18

User Info Menu

I'm also just about to do an egr delete. I understand that when the system is drained makes perfect sense to do the vacuum fill especially to ensure no air in heater core. I've done vacuum fills on my other powerstroke diesels when they were drain. However, since I'm not going to drain down the coolant and deciding to just lose what ever comes out when I pull the coolant tube off, AND the heater core is below that point I'm assuming air would not get in to the core being that it is lower. Would this negate the need to still do a vacuum fill? I feel like just filling the degas bottle would suffice for just and egr delete given you didn't drain any out prior?

2017 3500 CCLB DRW 4x4 3.73, Shocker Nightmare train horns, 5gallon on board air with Viar compressor and regulator, mag-hytec diff cover

12. Likes cwendel, Jaxonsram, SyN liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #19

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mjhockey155 View Post
    I'm also just about to do an egr delete. I understand that when the system is drained makes perfect sense to do the vacuum fill especially to ensure no air in heater core. I've done vacuum fills on my other powerstroke diesels when they were drain. However, since I'm not going to drain down the coolant and deciding to just lose what ever comes out when I pull the coolant tube off, AND the heater core is below that point I'm assuming air would not get in to the core being that it is lower. Would this negate the need to still do a vacuum fill? I feel like just filling the degas bottle would suffice for just and egr delete given you didn't drain any out prior?
    Yes you should be fine.

I removed mine the same way without any heater issues.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

14. Likes SyN liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #20

User Info Menu

Interesting! ...I never knew this tube existed. I will have to see if my 2012 RAM 2500 Laramie Longhorn Cummins has this tube. I will soon be trying to remove my existing cooler so I too will be needing to flush my radiator and replace fluid.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast